Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there: contextual menu for download into Aperture?

In Safari, I can do a right-click and one of my options is 'download to iPhoto'.

Now that I've switched to Aperture, I'd love to download directly into that application.
I've scoured the web, all Aperture-related sites, and I find nothing at all.

Any ideas on how to accomplish or create this?

Thanks in advance.

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6), 2009 Mac Mini, G4/733 DigitalAudio

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 12:17 PM

10 replies

Jan 12, 2014 6:00 AM in response to Bohdanz

I have the same question. Created a workflow in Automator when using iPhoto and now I've switched to Aperture and I'm trying to create a Service that does the "same" thing. I'm getting there, but still having a few issues. If I figure it out I'll post my Automator work flow here.

I surprised nobody has posted it somewhere already, it should be a very short and simple process, I'm obvioulsy just missing a key point somewhere. I think it has to do with the choice at the top: Service receives selected.....

Jan 12, 2014 6:16 AM in response to Bohdanz

An additional thought:

Can we seek out the existing "Add Image to iPhoto" service buried in OSX somewhere and copy it, then open it up in Automator and just tweak it slightly so it picks Aperture instead of iPhoto. If we can find the existing iPhoto one it should be easy, no? Any ideas where that would be? I've looked in the user Library and the main library services's folder and can't see that one, although others are there...

Not quite sure why this is just built in to OSX in the first place, and yes for those of you getting upset that I'm "making a suggestion" and "Apple doesn't monitor these discussions" etc. etc. I will send a "formal report to Apple.

Jan 12, 2014 7:49 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hello Frank.

I have tried the above and while it DOES work if I right click on a jpeg file in a finder window it does NOT work if I right click on an image in Safari. However, there could be two issues at play here as the SERVICE I've created and saved is not even an option in the right-click contextual menu when in Safari. Obviously it is there as an option when I right click on an image file in Finder.

Any ideas on how to sort this?

Thanks

Jan 12, 2014 9:37 AM in response to RiverdaleMAC

The confusion lies with your use of both the terms Service and Contextual menu to refer to then same thing. These are two different things.

Anyone can make a service which is added under the Services item in the contextual menu

User uploaded file

The ability to add an actual menu item to the Contextual menu (at least easily) was removed some OS versions ago. It is still possible but requires actual programming and is not supported by Apple anymore.

regards

Jan 12, 2014 1:28 PM in response to Bohdanz

I do see that my Automator created Service (Add Image to Aperture) would be in the Services sub-menu of the contextual menu, or at least should be. However, something else is going on her that I'm obviously misssing.

Even though I have "Service receives selected [IMAGE FILE] in [Any Application]" selected at the top of the workflow window....

User uploaded file

when I right click on an image in Safari the services sub-menu is not present......

User uploaded file

Furthermore, when I right click on an existing image file in Finder..........

User uploaded file

The service I have created (Add Image to Aperture) is available but only directly from the contextual menu and NOT contained within a Services sub-menu (there isn't one there). Not that I really care exactly where my (Add Image to Aperture) Service is located, I just want it to work.

Thanks for all your efforts here! I'm sure I'm making this WAY more complex than it needs to be, I'm just not seeing something with this.

Additional thought: Is it possible that who ever created the website is preventing "right-click save image" functionality which is throwing another variable into the mix? Although, I've tried in on lots of different websites and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there: contextual menu for download into Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.