Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Classic Skipping Tracks

I discovered a problem with my Ipod Classic today.

Went to listen to an album today, wanted to play it from the beginning and for some reason the Ipod just skips through the tracks and keeps picking the same track. I try to pick another track and it skips through and chooses something else. The shuffle function is off.

I have tried rebooting the Ipod, restoring it to factory settings and deleting everything, defragging. I've loaded the same album back on and the same thing happens. The same album plays ok on my laptop on Itunes. The same album also plays perfectly on Ipod Nano.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 1720, Windows Vista

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 3:52 PM

13 replies

Jan 19, 2011 5:03 AM in response to Abbafan1972

*Skipping songs*
The iPod seems to fail to play all of the occasional track that iTunes, and indeed other PMPs, are happy to play. There is probably some minor technical error in the internal structure of the file which is normally ignored by other playback software but causes the Classic to bail out.

You may like to try scanning the files with MP3 Validator which can find & fix some internal MP3 errors.

Some users have also suggested that completely removing all id3 tags and then replacing the information can be a solution. This can be achieved in iTunes by selecting an affected track, right/option clicking and using the option Convert id3 tags > None. Since some files may mistakenly have more than one tag you may need to repeat this action. Once you have confirmed that no tag is present you can replace the tag information using Convert id3 tags > V2.3 (I believe it is recommended to avoid using V2.4).

Personally I have found files for which these solutions don't work. In this case the workaround is either to re-rip the tracks or get iTunes to re-encode the file, e.g. convert AAC to MP3 or vice versa and sync the newly encoded file to the iPod instead. Because transcoding will cause a loss of fidelity you should keep your original file so that if a future iPod firmware resolves this issue you can put your original files back onto the iPod.

tt2

Jan 19, 2011 6:29 AM in response to Abbafan1972

Thank you for your replies.

Just an update. I tried to convert the album to AAC format, but I don't think I did it right and the files ended up being larger. (The original files were Mp3 320KBPS). I have the original CD and so I reripped it in AAC format but smaller, and the album now plays fine.

I guess the files were too big and the Ipod just didn't like it.

Jan 19, 2011 5:15 PM in response to Abbafan1972

I used the Restore feature in iTunes, then re-ripped a CD in both wave format then Mp3.
Neither played.
The iPod didn't skip through the tracks this time, it just stayed at Track 1 and did not play.

Hmmmmm.
Steve goes on leave and this happens...
Coincidence? lol

just kidding. It's technology and these things happen.
I just hope Apple gets on the ball on this and fixes it ASAP
Otherwise they will have a VERY unhappy customer(s) on their hands.

"Nobody knows the troubles I've seeeeeeeen..."

Jan 19, 2011 7:37 PM in response to Abbafan1972

Success!!!!

I was chatting with a good friend of mine tonight, a former techie for Apple, and I decided to try resetting the iPod via the iPod itself rather than through iTunes and wallah!

*Toggle the Hold switch on and off (slide it to HOLD and then back again).*
*Press and hold the Menu and Center buttons for at least 6 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.*

I then waited a few seconds then went to a Playlist and it plays.
I hope others have success in this as well...

Jan 21, 2011 5:51 PM in response to nhdalton

Hello,

I have an iPod Classic (120GB), and I have the same issue. I've encountered the issue on my previous computer (Windows XP), and found that it was only the odd song; and normally only 'new' songs that I added to the library. I used the ID-Tag solution then, and it worked fine.

However, recently, I've found this problem is spreading throughout my library. Songs I have had for years which previously played fine, now are just arbitrarily skipped during playback. I have a collection spanning over 80GB of music, and it is simply not a viable option to trawl through all the songs, and mess about with their ID tags.

Is there any solution for this? I do not understand how an album can be fine one moment, sync to my laptop, and then completely die on me.

Can Apple please provide a solution for this?

Jan 22, 2011 7:57 AM in response to TheSamantha

I have the 160 Gig classic and I have the same problem. Even worse is that songs I've had forever, now my itunes cannot find anymore and a exclamation mark shows up. When I go to the library, the songs are gone but I know something is up because on my back upped drives they are still all there. Also, some of my play lists won't sync anymore, even if I recreate them and do them over. I don't get. I thought Mac was supposed to be above all these kinds of computer problems?

Ipod Classic Skipping Tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.