Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renaming file information in Itunes and in finder

Hello,
I've renamed all songs in my ipod, but the song names in my computer (I saved a copy in finder) remain the same, is there a way to change both of them? Or I would have to save a copy of all my songs in the itunes library, rename all songs, then drag a copy to my computer?

If I happen to lose everything in my ipod, I don't want to rename all songs in my computer and drag them to my ipod again. Please advice, thank you.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 11:30 PM

7 replies

Jan 14, 2011 11:40 PM in response to nobutan

You need to change song names in the iTunes 'Music' list; you should not tamper with files in the iTunes Music folder, that's asking for trouble. Any changes made in the iTunes list will transfer to your iPod on the next sync. If you want copies outside iTunes, rename then in iTunes then drag them out to a folder. Changes you make to files which have been thus exported from iTunes will have no effect on iTunes or your iPod.

Sep 10, 2011 3:39 AM in response to nobutan

Sometimes I think ppl post stuff just to here there self talk. Like you old man. For one you can change the "original file" name as long as you don't change the file type. But to all who or out there trying to rename thousands of music names here's how you do it fast if you don't might spending a little cash. "TuneUp" is about $40 or $50 but the time it will save is crazy. Just for example. I had around 2500 songs with no names or album covers. I just got "TuneUp" and already finshed with all of them. Now the only thing I complain about is that it changes the song in Itunes and not the original file. So I will ask if there is a program or quick way to change the "Itunes Name" of the song in itunes for the orginal file. That way when I come to Back up my hard drive you can know the songs you have on there. Other wise I will be looking at numbers or other names that is not the name of the song.

Renaming file information in Itunes and in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.