Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot use mouse anymore, cursor snaps back to fixed position on screen

Since a few days I am having a problem with my mouse. Everytime I move the mouse cursor it snaps back to a fixed position within a second. This behaviour makes it almost impossible to use the mouse.

This occured for the first time a few days ago, when I woke the iMac from sleep. The positions to where it snaps back has changed one time, also when I woke the iMac.

I use a mighty mouse, but this happens also with a different mouse. So it isn't related to the physical mouse, it has to be software related.

My iMac is password protected, so I get a login screen. At this point my mouse is already unusable, so I think it has something to do with the mouse driver software.

I have searched the web and these forums for a solution, but I couldn't find one.
So I hope that someone has a few tips where to look, or what to do, to get it working again.

Can someone give me some tips on how to operate the computer with the keyboard? For example, what key do you use to start a program from the applications folder? I've tried some combinations with enter and space but it can't get it to work. This would be help, maybe that way I can analyze the problem.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Jeroen

My iMac has the latest software updates applied

iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 3:49 AM

9 replies

Jan 15, 2011 4:40 AM in response to Jeroen Akershoek

An update, I have started my computer in Safe mode, but the behaviour of the mouse is the same.

I have reset PRAM and NVRAM, still no improvement.

An observation from me:
During startup, when I get to the blue screen, the mouse cursor stays in the upper left corner. It stays there until the progress bar reaches the end. Then it jumps to the new position... I can move it from there, but it jumps back after a second 😟

Jan 15, 2011 9:53 AM in response to Jeroen Akershoek

I'm guessing you do not have another account you can login to?

Does it boot to Single User Mode, CMD+s keys at bootup, if so try...

/sbin/fsck -fy

Repeat until it shows no errors fixed.

(Space between fsck AND -fy important).

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Does it boot off your Install Disc & the mouse works OK?

Can someone give me some tips on how to operate the computer with the keyboard?

I you had Mouse Keys set in Universal Access, you could press the Option key 5 times to have the Keyboard used for Mouse functions.

Let's see where we are after the above tests.

Oh, do you have another Mac around with Firewire?

Jan 16, 2011 12:42 AM in response to ANOVA

I tried a different USB port and that helped. But I soon realized that the problem isn't related to a USB port, because I had to remove my tablet from the other port.

I know now what happened. My tablet is connected to my computer, but I don't use it very often so I've pushed it out of sight and only grab it when I need it. I have a sleepover cat this week and I remember that it jumped on my desk where the tablet is. It isn't allowed to do that so I chased it off. At that point the pen must have moved across the sensitive area 🙂

Thanks for your help!
Jeroen

Feb 9, 2012 7:32 AM in response to Jeroen Akershoek

I had the exact same problem with the behaviour described and almost called techsupport. I aint saying that this was your problem too, cause its kinda dumb, but my problem was this:

I have a wacom tablet and I left my pen on it. Id didnt do anything till restart, but then it woke up and started to reposition my cursor repeadetly, because the pen remained in the same position.

So you might have a serious problem, or if youre dumb like me, it can be solved really fast: Check your tablet 🙂

Cannot use mouse anymore, cursor snaps back to fixed position on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.