Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access G5 tower hard drives from laptop

I have a 1 TB drive partitioned on my G5 tower that I would like to access from a Mac Book Pro. Is there a way to do this?

Once I stop using the tower I intend to take that 1 TB drive and put it into an enclosure for future use, but what options do I have for now?

Thanks,

jf

G5 Dual 2.0, 2.5 GB Ram, 1.5+ TB of space, FCP 5.0.4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Final Cut Studio

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 7:24 AM

8 replies

Jan 15, 2011 11:30 AM in response to Jason Fredregill

If you can get on the Internet with both computers at the same time without re-cabling, you have all the Hardware you need for File Sharing.

Turn on File Sharing (best to do it on BOTH computers in case you decide to connect the other way later):

System Preferences > Sharing > \[√] File Sharing ... and wait a minute to be sure its Status changes to ON.

1. Choose Connect to Server from the Go menu.
2. Select the OTHER computer's name from the list, or enter its IP Address.
3. Click Connect.

The login window presented comes from the OTHER computer, but your computer fills in a guess about what login_name you might want to use. It is almost always WRONG. Also, the number of bullets in the Password field is completely arbitrary -- neither Mac has any idea about how long the password is.

If you enter the name and password of a regular user on the other computer, you get access to the Public Folder. If you enter an Admin name and password form the Other computer, you get access to everything that Admin has access to.

How to access G5 tower hard drives from laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.