Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie downloads very slow

Hi gang,

I have an Apple TV (new version ... fully updated software). The user experience is great. Viewing the list of movies is instantaneous, same with trailers. However, when I rent a movie, the download time is crazy. Anywhere from 3 to 21 hours. I've tried with WiFi and with Ethernet. Ethernet is faster, but still incredibly slow.

The Apple TV is using bandwidth poorly. For example, while the Apple TV is hooked to my WiFi network and slowly downloading a rental (22 hours to go), I can pull 45 Mb/s on speedtest.net on my laptop from the same WiFi network.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 8:11 PM

12 replies

Jan 15, 2011 8:32 PM in response to Phil McFarlane

Hi Phil - I can empathize. Tried using my Apple TV (new version as well) for the first time last night to rent Salt. I have been watching movies streaming from Netflix with much success and no problems since Christmas. Unfortunately, I got 12+ hours message before I could view it. Since this was going to kill the movie night we watched a Netflix movie instead. Streamed through the same exact Apple TV and network while Salt continued to download. After the Netflix movie I checked and Salt was ready to play. It even started for a second before I stopped it since it was too late to watch.

We went back to watch the movie tonight and it wanted to start the download over again. Luckily, only 5+ hrs this time. 😟 Bad news is that 5+ hrs would push us past the rental expiration time since I started the movie for less than 10 seconds the night before.

Now I am peeved both at what appears to be a major technical problem with Apple's rental service AND with their billing that doesn't take into account any possibility of such technical issues!

This all makes me very sad as it performs nothing like Steve Jobs demo at the Apple TV launch... I hope you are finding better luck now.

-Sean
ATV2, many ipods, multiple MBPs

Jan 29, 2011 1:35 AM in response to Mulderscully

Well, its shocking i am an apple fan and totally dissapointed

Looked at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3623

I have hardwired Ethernet, 1GB switch, 12Mb Download speed (6 sustained), unlimited bandwidth by provider over night and decent during the day, all DNS settings correct

Rented 4 movies on monday, watched 2 by friday as they were still downloading on thursday, other 2 are still downloading says 4-5 hours per movie, thats a week to download.....

Had i know this i would have never wasted my money

Jan 29, 2011 4:22 AM in response to Phil McFarlane

Hi guys

I was struggling with slow movie rental downloads up to 2 days ago. I have 2 Apple TV boxes. One is the older larger unit and the second is the new smaller black unit. Once I fitted the newer unit, neither would download movies from the i Tunes Store instantly. One minute it was saying 4 hours to download and the next it was 8 hours or 23 hours. I discovered the reason was that the settings were set up for HD Downloads on the newer apple TV box.
So go to ‘Settings’ on your Apple TV, then ‘General’ then ‘i Tunes Store’ and finally ‘Rent High Definition’
set to ‘Off’ and Hey Presto movies download in minutes. I hope this helps some of you.

Jan 29, 2011 7:38 AM in response to MacDave1967

MacDave1967 wrote:
Rented 4 movies on monday, watched 2 by friday as they were still downloading on thursday, other 2 are still downloading says 4-5 hours per movie, thats a week to download.....

The fact you rented 4 movies may be the issue (it would not have been on the older unit which has a hard drive).

AppleTV 2 has 8Gb of solid state memory which will be shared between miscellaneous system uses, movie rentals and photos for slideshow.

As most HD movies are 3-4GB it would be impossible for them all to be downloaded simultaneoulsy to the new AppleTV - they may be in a vicious cycle of downloading/data being flushed by another movie wanting to use the space.

This may not be the case, but once you get through this patch, if you're up to it try a single rental to see if you get a fast start.

AC

May 27, 2011 5:03 AM in response to Phil McFarlane

I am also experiencing very slow HD movie download speeds via Apple TV. Internet connection is ADSL2+ with a sync speed of 22 Mb/s. Generally achieve around 16 Mb/s during daily use. Tested download speed during HD movie download and achieved 15 Mb/s from MacBook Pro. Before and after the speed test Apple TV reports a download time of 55min.

Sep 29, 2011 12:55 PM in response to Phil McFarlane

We have renamed our unit CRAPPY TV. As small as the unit is, it is a complete waste of space, unless you are using netflix, which is the only viable content besides youtube etc. Apple was not in any way helpful, nor have they fixed the problem. Too many ruined evenings. Bad for customers... Long run, damaging to Apple's rep.

Movie downloads very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.