Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes keeps losing movie thumbnails

Hi

I'm using iTunes on W7 Pro 64 bit, all been working fine until the v10 update. Ever since it has been having trouble remebering the poster frames I set for movies. Not all movies, just some - and I think only the ones imported after v10. I can set them, they're fine for a bit and then one day, all reset to the first frame of the film. Also when I reset the poster frames it often doesn't work first time - I have to open the movie in its own window, set poster frame which fails, close movie window, then reopen and repeat at which point it works. It doesn't work first time and always works second time. Weird!

It may have something to do with the fact that I keep all video files on a network (NAS) drive, although the older imports which don't lose their thumbnails are there as well.

Has anyone else had or cured this problem?

TP

Desktop PC, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 1:44 AM

11 replies

Apr 2, 2011 3:21 PM in response to TimPollard

I am also having a similar problem. I typically backup all my kid's DVDs using Handbrake and load them into iTunes on the mac-mini connected to our TV. I then play the .m4v files using Front Row. I have almost 40 movies in my library, but the last 3 I have ripped won't remember the poster frame I set in iTunes once I try to view the movie. The frame will save and show up in the listing, but as soon as it is played, it snaps back to the default opening frame as the poster. Another note (to anyone else who might have tips for this) is that the poster frame never shows up in Front Row for these specific titles.. The rest of the library works perfect, and since my kids can't read yet, its really nice to have the poster frames...(Tim, Front Row is Apple's built in media software controlled by the mac-remote - just in case you are a Windows only guy)...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Apr 9, 2011 6:47 PM in response to TimPollard

Log one more person who is fed up and frustrated as **** with iTunes' sudden inability to preserve poster frames on ripped movies. I just added ONE movie to iTunes and set the info for it and when I relaunched iTunes shortly after, all of my poster frames (16 of them) had been reset to defaults.

Apple, this is SERIOUSLY UNCOOL. Fix this issue NOW!

Apr 18, 2011 6:31 PM in response to Clayton C. Johanson

I've been dealing with this problem as well. Trying unsucessfully to set poster frames for videos for a kid who can't read yet and who needs the images to know what they are so he can play them. It all worked in the past and I couldn't understand why it stopped working consistently.

I became convinced that what I was seeing had to be an iTunes bug, and the reports here are even more persuasive that this is the case.

It's not clear that it's on Apple's radar, though. I had to look hard to find even this report of the problem.

Jun 8, 2011 4:54 PM in response to TimPollard

I've recently noticed something odd. This issue doesn't apply to newly added videos if they've been encoded to iOS friendly format (e.g. MP4) using Quicktime Pro (I don't use Quicktime X—I hate it). Whenever I use another application, for example Handbrake, then the poster frames don't stick.

I tested this theory with older videos as well. The ones I'm sure I encoded using Quicktime Pro are okay, the others not so much.

Jul 11, 2014 9:18 AM in response to TimPollard

I've been in the field of Software Testing over 15 and this is a direct result of something that was rushed, and/or a poor test strategy.

The workaround is you right-click on the movie file in iTunes, select "Get Info", click the "Artwork" tab to ensure movie poster is there, and then close. The actual step to click the "Artwork" tab might be optional but I did it the first time so it defaults to opening that tab for ever movie after that.

It's a simple refresh issue that should have been easily caught in the their testing cycles.

Obviously the workaround is not ideal if you have hundreds or thousands of videos in your library, so hopefully Apple will catch wind of this issue and provide an update without having the user to manually reload their video libraries.

Update:

I'd also like to point out that many people (like myself) spend a great deal of time making their libraries look good (as I use AppleTV as well and have a nice movie library on my television to view). This is a critical part of the end-to-end user experience and a very common use-case.

Previous to the last update, I noticed the use had to page through all the movies in the iTunes library (after initial import) to get the movie posters to appear/refresh.

Jul 11, 2014 9:21 AM in response to Clayton C. Johanson

Just a suggestion.

I do agree with you, but saying "Fix this issue NOW" is not the way to go about getting issues fixed.

You need to describe the problem, discuss any workarounds, explain it's criticality (use-cases for when this issue would get discovered). This will be a much better way to escalate the problems.

Otherwise a ticket gets entered into their system and their development group has to try and duplicate the issue and assess it's importance. In other words, it adds a great deal of time to the development process.

iTunes keeps losing movie thumbnails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.