2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2011 8:26 AM by hydrofal78
hydrofal78 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
i would like to make clear something & i need to describe first what happened.
i did the standalone update Epson Printer Drivers v2.5.1 for Mac OS X v10.6 because i use an epson perfection 3590 photo scanner.i read the included models but the one mentioned was the epson perfection 3590 scanner.there was no photo at the end.
after that i couldn't scan & i had the wrong scanner's driver on.in a few words i ended by reinstalling snow leopard.
my question that regards TM is : would it have helped ? could i have just chosen the os x's backup of the day before the wrong update installation & got away with it ? is it that easy to get back in time & correct the mistakes avoiding all the useless roundabout acts like reinstalling risky deletes of files etc. ?
thank you.
until now i use a 120 GB external to backup files & folders by drag & drop.
i don't think TM is useless but i am saving for a TC.
as it seems i might just buy an external HD with more GB & get it over with.
thank you in advance.

2.16 intel core 2 duo imac5.1, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iBook G4 933 Panther not working but I'll fix it one day
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)
    hydrofal78 wrote:
    . . .
    my question that regards TM is : would it have helped ?

Yes.

could i have just chosen the os x's backup of the day before the wrong update installation & got away with it ?

Yes, although you probably wouldn't have had to reinstall your entire system; just restore the previous version of the file(s) in question.

is it that easy to get back in time & correct the mistakes avoiding all the useless roundabout acts like reinstalling risky deletes of files etc. ?

Usually.

i don't think TM is useless but i am saving for a TC.

Unless you need a wireless router and a way to back up a laptop, a TC may not be worth it to back up an iMac.

as it seems i might just buy an external HD with more GB & get it over with.

Yes, Time Machine will back up to an external HD much faster and more reliably than over a network.

You might want to review the [Time Machine Tutorial|http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#timemachinebasics] and perhaps browse [Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/FAQ.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).
  • hydrofal78 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    thanks a lot