Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to see another iMAC on the network

Just bought 2 iMACs. They are seemingly shared (icons appear in 'Finder', but can't 'see' each other - i.e. unable to ping. They are in different buildings: one connected to the router via ethernet, and the other is using a wireless connection to the router. I just need to use the printer connected to the iMAC on the end of the ethernet. (OK with setting up sharing.) What haven't I done to make it work ?

iMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 6:34 AM

Given that they are on the same subnet,

On the machine sharing the printer:
System Preferences > Sharing > check Printer Sharing. Look in the Printer box and check the printer. Check the Users box and verify "Everyone".

On the other machine:
System Preferences > Print & Fax > click the "+" sign under the printer list. Add the printer here.

Should be ready to select in a File > Print... > drop down box.

Regards
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2011 6:34 AM in response to sbhabyn

Given that they are on the same subnet,

On the machine sharing the printer:
System Preferences > Sharing > check Printer Sharing. Look in the Printer box and check the printer. Check the Users box and verify "Everyone".

On the other machine:
System Preferences > Print & Fax > click the "+" sign under the printer list. Add the printer here.

Should be ready to select in a File > Print... > drop down box.

Regards

Unable to see another iMAC on the network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.