Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Feedback from eMac users?

Hey everyone!

Im considering picking up an eMac off ebay. Was wondering if I could get some input from you guys that still use them.

Are they still reliable to daily use? I know youtube and such is pretty much out of the question, but for everyday general usage (internet / music cds / dvds / etc,etc) are they still viable?

The system im looking at is 1.42ghz 512mb ram and comes with an 80GB HDD. I know the ram will need to be upgraded, and will probably get a larger HDD for it (if I can)

Any input? Thanks!

iMac G3s (600,400,333mhz)

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 7:35 AM

9 replies

Jan 16, 2011 8:55 AM in response to mlthmp

The system im looking at is 1.42ghz 512mb ram and comes with an 80GB HDD

This is good. Do not settle for anything less than the 1.42gHz. Too many of the USB 2.0 eMacs with 1.0 and 1.25Ghz logic boards are affected by a near-fatal logic board issues that in no longer under warranty.

The other advantage is the ATI Radeon 9600 chipset; it has Core Image support--very useful for Leopard (OS 10.5).

Remember the max RAM with today's modules on that model is 2G (2 x 1G modules), but do not try to get these larger modules "just anywhere." Even Crucial doesn't list these; they never waver from the max RAM shown on Apple specs sheets that, for the USB 2.0 eMacs, are badly outdated.

I bought this 1G module of our eMac 1.42G about a year ago:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2700DDR1024/

It's working perfrectly.

Our 1.42 eMac has been a very stable computer, and is about the only "G" series computer in the house that doesn't struggle too much with most online veideo. However, remember that a lot of video content on the web is no longer optimized for G4 processors, so some vids may display poorly. You can't upgrade anything to fix that.

Hard drives: The 2Gen eMac is not a simply disassembly. Actually, it's the reassembly that usually bites you. There are a lot of reports here of people damaging the power switch assembly during reassembly. Unless you consider yourself an above-average computer tech, you may want to consider using external drives. You can put a bunch of FireWire externals (functionallly faster than USB 2.0) and bootable) and not have to crack the case.

Jan 19, 2011 11:42 AM in response to Community User

LK, I'd suggest you start a new topic with your issue (use the "Post a new topic" link at the top of each main topic page). It's generally better to ask a question as a new topic rather than as a reply in someone else's thread. It's more courteous to the original poster, and is more likely to get your question the attention it deserves.

Regards.

Mar 8, 2011 6:43 PM in response to mlthmp

Hello,

I am typing this right now on my 1.42GHz eMac with Superdrive. My model came with the 160GB HD. As far as youtube is concerned, I have just spent the last hour or two watching and listening to Beatles videos and it is totally problem free. No wait time or lag at all. I just finally installed an Airport Extreme Card on mine and everything is working great. I haven't had any issues with my screen either. The only problem or complaint that I have had is that my iTunes library got so big that I finally had to buy an external HD to store my iTunes library. Now I have tons of room and at this point I plan to use my eMac for years to come. Mine is at OS 10.5.8. My machine is as far as it can go OS wise, but this computer still does everything I need and want to do!

Mar 15, 2011 6:12 PM in response to mlthmp

Hello, i am currently using a 1.42ghz eMac combo with 1GB of ram and and Youtube works fine on it, usually lag free, but you can't watch it higher the 360p because it lags on 480p and higher. It is a fairly good internet machine as well, and it loads email in about 2 seconds. I bought my eMac off ebay in december of 2010, and i've had it for about 3 months now and I'm extremely pleased with it. I would highly recommend a 1.42ghz eMac to first time mac users (like me) and it is the cheapest, most reliable mac on the market, You can usually find them on ebay for $120 USD.

Feedback from eMac users?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.