Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defish A Photo In Aperture

Is there an application within Aperture 3 to defish a fisheye photo? I searched in Aperture "Help" but no results came up. I tried downloading Defish 2.1.1 but that only resulted in getting a text file of gibberish. Please pardon my lack of knowledge, it is because I am brand new to Mac OS.X and my new Mac Book.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Don

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 8:49 AM

7 replies

Jan 16, 2011 10:23 AM in response to d30gaijin

Welcome to the list. Make sure you read the [Help & Terms of Use|http://discussions.apple.com/help.jspa] section when you get a chance.

No way to do that in Aperture, you'll need a plugin or eternal editor. I'm not aware of any, not something I've ever needed to do. Don't know anything about Defish but I found this [link|http://wiki.panotools.org/DeFish] which may help.

Aug 9, 2013 2:51 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Just looking around at how people would defish a fisheye in Aperture - thinking of adding a Samyang lens to M4/3 gear to get that ultrawide image but having seen Kirby's link to PT Lens when that corrects you have to crop a lot of the image out get rid of the background which has been revealed.

Please for give the really dumb / stupid / rookie question but is this the same for all barrel correction software - I know LR has lens corrections does that do the same thing? If so they this looks like a great way to get into nice clean wide angle pictues - just bearing in mind you'll have to crop some of it away to get the nice clean lines.

Thanks James

Aug 12, 2013 3:26 PM in response to jetset95

James,

Yes. Defishing deforms the image so that straight contours (e.g.: edges of objects) in the scene recorded appear straight in the image, and then trims everything outside the largest rectangle that can be cut from the deformed image.

I'll repeat the good advice that Kurt Munger has posted on his site (iirc): Use rectilinear lenses for rectilinear results, and use fish-eye lenses for their particular, but non-normative, rendering of the scene.

Fwiw, I've heard very good things about Samyang's MFT fish-eye. And although I sold my MFT body, I kept the Panasonic 7-14 lens. It's expensive, but well worth it if you want ultra-wide-angle.

HTH,

--Kirby.

Aug 13, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thank you Kirby for the response - I've actually gone for the Olympus 9-18mm almost-ultra-wide as a compromise. It's nowhere near as expensive as the Panny 7-14mm, takes filters and at the zoom end works well as a 35mm street shooting lens as well. I've still downloaded the PT Lens trial and it seems to work really well for those wide angle shots which are not perfectly straight so putting walls back vertically again.

Defish A Photo In Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.