Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple keyboard or mouse won't wake up iMac from sleep.

After I put my iMac to sleep the keyboard or mouse won't wake it up. I have to push the power button to awaken it. Wake from sleep is enabled in bluetooth preferences so that is not the problem. Otherwise keyboard and mouse are working fine. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac 21.5" display, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 10:50 AM

18 replies

Feb 11, 2011 8:00 PM in response to George Shulga

Regrettably, I can't offer a solution to the problem stated in the title. Instead, I experience the same problem.

Wireless Mighty Mouse circa 2007
Wireless Apple Keyboard circa 2007
Bluetooth dongle (a bluetooth thingy connected to a USB port)

Things worked fine until an upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Following the upgrade there were several mouse related issues. Those were resolved. One issue remains: waking by use of mouse or keyboard.

The setup (Same for keyboard and mouse)

System Preferences --- Bluetooth --- Keyboard Connected --- Keyboard Paired. The "Discoverable" box is checked.

Digging deeper

System Preferences --- Bluetooth --- Advanced --- "Allow Bluetooth device to wake this computer" --- This option is unchecked and is greyed out, inaccessible. Two of the other options are checked and available: the options about opening the Bluetooth assistant and the one about prompting incoming audio.

I've searched other posts. However, many of the other posts seem to conflate this Wake/Sleep issue with various connection issues. Thus, the advice given is a bit confusing to this amateur. Might one of you experts have a solution to this annoying little problem?

Thanks for your interest.

Lxloco

Nov 23, 2011 5:23 AM in response to George Shulga

I'm having the same issue. I thought it was a bluetooth issue so I went and grabbed the original USB keyboard and plugged it in and it still didn't work.

From what I have seen this problem only started recently with this last software update, and there was at least one more thread about this same topic.

I'm on 10.7.2 and the problem just started about 5 days ago.

Dec 8, 2011 4:42 AM in response to d4v1d7

unfortunately i tried that. i plugged my old keyboard in via USB, unchecked everything, then did just what you did. It worked for a couple days but then the problem started again. At this point I'm not sure if i should take the computer into Apple or wait for a software update. it is very annoying, though. I'm happy it worked out for you, though.

Mar 25, 2012 6:19 AM in response to George Shulga

everyone having this problem, please examine your area where the MAC device is located. I read on this thread where a person had a problem with their iMac running hot and that was their cause for not waking after sleep. after investigating, my mac was definitely hot to the touch at the back & top area and it was sitting pushed back as far as it could go on my desk where I guess it was not getting enough ventilation. I have since moved it out 2 inches so the top vent is not covered and I'm now going on 4 days with no problems waking from sleep. before I had to power it off/on 3-4 time per day. it worked for me so please investigate a possible over heating issue before restoring your hard drives and replacing your devices.

good luck and hopefully this simple solution works for many of you.

Apple keyboard or mouse won't wake up iMac from sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.