Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G4 Mac Mini Display Problems

I have a PPC G4 Mac Mini which is connected to my 32inch LG LCD TV via DVI > HDMI cable. It will start up okay, and will work fine for a couple of minutes (not sure exactly how long, the time varies) and then horizontal lines appear on the screen and it starts to flicker. After about 30 seconds/1 minute the screen will flicker on and off a few times then just go to 'No Signal' on my TV. I then have to wait about half an hour before i can restart and actually get an image on my TV from the Mac.I am using a brand new Dual link DVI > HDMI cable (i have a single link DVI > HDMI which makes no difference) and the resolution is 1920x1080 which looks great while it lasts! Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?
Thanks, Rob

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8), TV = 32LG5700

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 2:11 PM

7 replies

Jan 17, 2011 4:07 PM in response to Rob.L 85

This was a widely reported problem on this forum back when the G4 was a current model. It was traced down to a limitation relating to a disclaimer in the mini's spec about working with "non-coherent" displays. If you search the page from the link below using the search word "coherent" you will find the disclaimer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp65

The solution that worked for most people was to drop the pixel clock frequency. ATSC 1080p60 timing has a pixel clock of 148.5 MHz. You can use a program called SwitchResX and use it's built-in function for building custom timings using CVT-RB. The RB stands for reduced blanking and it causes the pixel clock to drop to around 138 MHz IIRC. For most people that was lower enough that it did the trick.

The first thing you will want to do the next time you start the mini hooked up to that TV is to lower the resolution to something like 720p before the picture goes out. The pixel clock is much lower for 720p so the picture won't blank out on you and you'll be able to use it long enough to do everything you need to do with SwitchResX.

Write back if you need more help or further explanation.

Jan 21, 2011 4:41 PM in response to Rob.L 85

Wanted to add that SwitchResX4 worked great for me, too. I used to run a Dell 20" monitor via DVI at native resolution and it worked great. I just upgraded to a 21.5" model and it worked great with VGA but didn't work in native resolution via DVI (it looked terrible; every other resolution worked fine). Tweaking the pixel clock solved the problem.

I should note, though, that when switching to the native resolution (1920x1080, in this case) there were two radio buttons in the SwitchResX4 control panel that had this resolution listed. One still looked like crap, and the other worked beautifully.

G4 Mac Mini Display Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.