Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up extra features on virtual mail accounts

I have just set up my first Mac OSX Server (10.4) which is hosting a number of virtual domains and virtual mail accounts.

I wanna go a little stage further than just having mail in and out of an account.

Here's my scenario:

virtualdomain1.com
user1@virtualdomain1.com

virtualdomain2.com
user1@virtualdomain2.com
user2@virtualdomain2.com
user3@virtualdomain2.com

I want to set up the mail for virtualdomain1.com so that anything@domain1.com is collected by the mailbox user1@virtualdomain1.com and downloaded by the email client set up for user1@virtualdomain1.com (say as in a global mailbox used by Exchange)

On a similar theme, I want to set up the mail for virtualdomain2.com so that anything@virtualdomain2.com is collected by the mailbox user2@virtualdomain2.com and downloaded by the email client, but user3@virtualdomain2.com and user1@virtualdomain2.com are able to pick up their mail without it going into the global mailbox user2@virtualdomain2.com.

As I said I have just set up my server and not particularly used to terminal, but any help would be appreciated

G5 Dual 2gig, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 16, 2005 2:59 PM

1 reply

Dec 19, 2005 12:25 AM in response to Graeme Jervis2

Update on my own question:

[quote]I want to set up the mail for virtualdomain1.com so that anything@domain1.com is collected by the mailbox user1@virtualdomain1.com and downloaded by the email client set up for user1@virtualdomain1.com (say as in a global mailbox used by Exchange)[/quote]

I have soretd out a solution (or work around) for the above.

I created a user account, the setting os which would be used by the email client to poll and collect mail. I the added additional extra email addresses (in WGM -> Basic) under the short names section ie user1@domain1.com, user2@domain1.com etc.

Works!!

Only issue I have found so far is that if a user in my list is included in the email as a cc it only sends to the original recipient and not any cc's.

Setting up extra features on virtual mail accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.