Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 vs Droid X Battery Question

I currently have the Droid X on Verizon and am fairly pleased with it, but I plan on switching to the iPhone 4 as soon as it is available in February because I see it as a far superior device in the aspects I care about the most. However, after looking up reviews and other peoples' opinions about the battery life, I don't really know what I should do.

Today, after having my Droid X since July 18, I used my phone probably the most I ever have. I took it off the charger this morning at around 9:00am EST, and now at 12:52am EST next day (15 hrs, 52 mins uptime), I have ~25-30% battery left. That's after about 3-3.5 hours of the display being on, probably about 20 minutes of voice calls, a lot of browsing that I didn't keep up with unfortunately, some YouTube watching that I also didn't keep up with, and just random playing-with-my-phone stuff. BT, Wi-Fi, and GPS are all off, the display is set to auto-brightness, and 3G has been on the entire time. I also received a few emails via IMAP Push. All of this is with the standard, stock battery.

Does this sound like what I should expect with the iPhone 4, or should I expect less or more? All of the people I talk to have different things to say about the battery life, and all the comments I read on the internet have me worried that I will not be pleased. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the iPhone hands down. But I want a device that will last me through a day of heavy use and still have considerable juice left over.

Thanks in advance!!

Macbook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 10:25 PM

Most likely you'll get longer battery time with the iP4. I don't use my phone the same way as you (more phone call time, less browsing), BlueTooth, WiFi, Location Services, push email, push notifications always on, and it takes 48-72 hours on before getting down to 20%.

These are the official battery specs, which are accurate:

Talk time:
Up to 7 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM model only)
Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
Up to 6 hours on 3G
Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Message was edited by: modular747
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2011 10:25 PM in response to cmathis91

Most likely you'll get longer battery time with the iP4. I don't use my phone the same way as you (more phone call time, less browsing), BlueTooth, WiFi, Location Services, push email, push notifications always on, and it takes 48-72 hours on before getting down to 20%.

These are the official battery specs, which are accurate:

Talk time:
Up to 7 hours on 3G
Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM model only)
Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
Up to 6 hours on 3G
Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Message was edited by: modular747

Jan 17, 2011 11:40 AM in response to cmathis91

I agree with sn4p2k. AT&T GSM/UTMS and Verizon CDMA/EDVO are different beasts and battery usage will be different for both voice and data.

The fact is that the iP4 battery performance is good and not an issue in a normally functioning phone.

Asking for "opinions" will always get outlier responses from people with malfunctioning or hacked phones, along with the usual trolls. In the end, all you'll do is pick the one(s) you want to hear.

iPhone 4 vs Droid X Battery Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.