Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Font

While compiling my iweb site I keep getting a message that a specific font is missing. Can anybody tell me how I go about replacing the font on to iWeb?

Desktop intel imac 20", Mac OS X (10.6.5), emac/macbook pro

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 2:32 AM

9 replies

Jan 17, 2011 2:57 AM in response to hootboot

If these articles don't help, post back indicating which specific font is missing:

_Does iWeb say you are missing a font when you publish the website?_

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3161

...More suggestions may be found by doing THIS.

And before trying such suggestions, make sure you have a recent backup in case you want to restore your current system:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper

User uploaded file

Feb 25, 2011 1:08 PM in response to hootboot

I've had this same problem, iweb stating the font "arial-boldMS" was substituted for the missing font "arial-boldMT", and Arial MS substituted for missing ArialMT.

reloading fonts, either in system folder or user folder, deleting font caches, restarting in safe mode to rebuild have not solved the issue. Using FontExplorer X Pro, i discovered the missing font name is the postscript name for a font in my fonts collection. ie I do have the font, it is not missing, only iweb will not recognise the font name, and is looking for the postscript name and does not recognise it. Also, the Arial-BoldMS font name does not appear in my font collection at all! So how is it being substituted for missing font which is not missing?

The root problem seems to be that iWeb will not recognise the post script name for fonts.

Is there a means for fonts to be identified by post script name, or to make iweb identify fonts by their normal name?

And is there means for substituted fonts to be applied to a web page, instead of having the same error message come up every time the page is opened?

using iWeb 09, Snow leopard 10.6.6, macbook pro 2.4 ghz dual

thanks anyone who has ideas!

Jul 19, 2011 12:38 PM in response to marten berkman

Add me to the list of frustrated iweb users who are flagged with ever new page that the fonts, Arial Bold MT and Arial MT are missing. I also replaced those fonts in Fontbook to no avail. Went over my extensive/deep pages in my website and could not find that I had ever used either of those fonts. My friends on macs, 10.6.8, further informed me that those two fonts do not exist in their Fontbooks either. If anyone comes up with a solution to this problem, I, for one, would certainly be grateful. iweb 3.0.4 (601)

Jul 19, 2011 7:00 PM in response to Old Toad

Firstly, many thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply. Today I pulled out all stops... ran the disc doctor, deleted the replacement offending Arial MT fonts from my font book, burned on a DVD my domain file, substituted any Arial font on my web pages for another that would keep the formatting. Nothing helped. Then I got your suggestions, and fine ones they were. I knew about the preferences file, but not about the cache. I deleted them both then shut down and restarted my 17" macbook pro. Same problem as before.The same crippling flags on each and every page I open to work on. Here's the interesting twist to this story, however. When I restarted my machine, iweb had generated a new domain file. Nothing had been created at all in it. I chose a blank page and NO FLAG about those 2 missing fonts. The blank domain file appears to work perfectly. The rub is, my entire website, several years worth of effort, is on the domain file that is apparently somehow 'corrupted'. It's www.nicholsloy.com. I can't abandon it now.

But thank you for your response.

Jul 20, 2011 10:53 AM in response to sloynic

Somethimes it's just one page that's giving the problem. If you can determine if that's the case you can delete it and recreate the page anew.

If you get the error message when you first open the domain file then see what page is open. Then go to another page do some "editing" and close. Reopen iWeb and see what page opens and if the message comes up. See if you can deterrmine if it's site wide or just one or two pages.

Another route you can try is to create a new domain file and add several pages to it that would be the same layout as your current site. Then use iWebSites to merge the two domain files into a new 3rd domain file. Open the merged file copy the content of a page in your problem site and paste into the corresponding page in the other site. See if you can isolate the problem text fields, etc.

I had the same problem quite a while ago. I think, but am not sure, I obrtained the missing font from online and installed it. Not positive though.

Jul 20, 2011 12:16 PM in response to Old Toad

You're very sweet to continue the discussion here. I did as you suggested, worked to isolate the page(s) that were flagging me about the missing fonts. There are 26 pages. All new ones. 25 are located in 2 'separate' websites connected to the main or 1st website by a newly constructed (26th page) 'home' page which has links to a) the MAIN or first website now called "archives", b) the new website called "featured art", and c) the newest website "sloy's basement" under construction at the time. This new HOME page was added as the Index.html root page of my one domain file... one domain file, 3 websites linked.

Now, I find the original MAIN site works hunky dory. It's the index.html HOME page and the 25 pages also new, that give me that flag. I also, as I've mentioned, found the 2 missing fonts on the web and added them to my FONT book, and they are fully functioning fonts, but iweb refuses to recognize them.

www.nicholsloy.com

Missing Font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.