Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.5 update causing network issues

Variations of this have already been posted but when I described my particular issues to Apple support the advice was roll back to 10.6.4!

I have 3 Macs, and this only appears to be affecting my MBP 13". Updating to 10.6.5 causes:

- ethernet to stop working; it shows as connected and shows correct IP but there is no acccess to web, offsite ping, or email. Reboots very occasionally get it to work but when changing any aspect of network config (eg switching on wireless or changing location) it fails again. Booting with ethernet cable plugged in usually results in the spinning beachball.

- wireless works reasonably, but any change to config causes loss of network as described above. VPN under wireless becomes very temperamental

- when the network fails, finder also crashes and restarting it only gets it going for less than a minute before it crashes out again.

- waking from sleep also appears to cause the network problems

I can replicate the problems easily; works fine up to 10.6.4 but as soon as a later upgrade is applied then it fails. To clear the problem I only have to reinstall the OS over the existing installation, I don't have to do a clean install. The problems occur on both my home network and my work network

I'm afraid that I can't get any logs from the failure because that would mean me breaking it and having to reinstall. I'm currently waiting for the next upgrade but wonder if anyone else has seen this - any thoughts/pointers welcome!

Kerr

MBP 13", MB 13", i-Mac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 5:18 AM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2011 2:03 AM in response to kerrg

I have the exact same problem on two of my imacs, both have the 10.6.5 update and have been having networking problems since November of last year. I have pinged both IP addresses successfully so they are active.I have also tweaked the proxy settings for our network, trying all combinations, to no avail.

I have at least succeeded in getting one of the macs to connect to email and Safari but the connection in Safari times out after about 10 minutes and then hangs and you have to force quit. Thereafter only a reboot will restore Safari.

The second imac is in a worse state, in that it does not connect up at all even though the network is active and IP has been successfully pinged.

Jan 20, 2011 2:42 AM in response to kerrg

Have you tried OnyX?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
Hold shift directly after the startup chime, it clears some cache files. Reboot after login if successful.

Also, run file system check?
Boot into Single user mode by holding ⌘-S at startup.
Type fsck -y -f at the prompt; press enter. If there are errors, run it until there aren't any.

Jan 20, 2011 2:44 AM in response to Callagh

You could also try:
(per Barney-15E on another thread)

Go into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and delete these files:
com.apple.network.identification.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
Then, Open Network System Preferences and rebuild your network services as necessary.
That will reset all of your network configurations.

Jan 23, 2011 2:08 PM in response to kerrg

Rolling back mDNSResponder to 10.6.4 solved my problems. Use this patch:

http://azlist.info/kj/support/mdns_repair10.6.5.pkg.zip

After running the patch, reboot by holding the power key in until the long system gong, which forces a refresh of all caches and other mysterious stuff.

For context, see: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2648002&start=60&tstart=0

10.6.5 update causing network issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.