Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Laptop with Vista not able to connect to internet thru airport

I just got a new Airport Express for my Mac... I cannot get my roomates HP Laptop to connect to the internet... It seems like it has found the network I made, and connects, but won't connect to the internet... I've tried everything I can think of... and tried help routes (GeekSquad, Apple) and no one can seem to help... Apple told me to look on here... Any else have this problem know what to do??? Help!

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 11:50 AM

26 replies

Jan 17, 2011 1:33 PM in response to Havok2676

Honestly theres not a lot I have tried... since I don't know a lot about Windows computers... But it seems to connect to the network I made for the Airport and and my Mac, it asked for the password and took it. It says Wireless Network Connection (my networks name) and says signal strength is excellent... but when im looking at the Network and Sharing center is shows the Laptop and unidentified network (there is a green line between them) and then the line from the unidentified network to the internet has a big red X. The geek squad said its the unidentified network that is causing the problem but couldn't tell me how to fix it... and im clueless...

Jan 18, 2011 3:27 PM in response to Tesserax

How do i disable the wireless encryption?

The radio mode on the airport says 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) and i have no idea where to find the info for the other part of your question....

He took the HP laptop to Best Buy and the Geek Squad today... it connected to their network right away so the downloaded all updates for it and said that should help... well it didn't... im so confused as to why it wont work with my airport...

I really do appreciate your help Tessarax

Jan 18, 2011 8:59 PM in response to Havok2676

Ok. I tried that but now I get a message on the HP that says "The setting saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network"

Basically, Windows is telling you that its network configuration is not correctly configured for the one it is trying to connect to. Which would be expected if it is configured to connected to an encrypted network, but that network is not encrypted ... which yours is now.

Also by changing it to none, does that mean anyone can get on my network?

Yes. My suggestion to turn off encryption was to see if the encryption level might be the problem. You can go ahead and re-enable it.

My suggestion for the next step would be to run the Windows built-in network diagnostics. To do so, right-click on the Network icon in the Vista System Tray (bottom right corner of the Windows desktop). Then, select the "Diagnose and Repair" option. Run through this option and please report back the results.

Jan 19, 2011 6:31 PM in response to Havok2676

All right, thanks for hanging in there.

Let's move to the next stage of troubleshooting. In this stage, we are going to do a bit of "manual" troubleshooting to see if we can find out exactly where in the network communications path, the process is failing to try to give us a clue on how to solve it. We will start with the IPConfig tool.

To use the IPConfig tool to verify the TCP/IP configuration on the computer that is experiencing the problem, click Start, then click Run, and then, type: cmd, and then, press <enter>

At the prompt, enter the following commands; press <enter> after entering each one:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

The /all parameter for IPConfig generates a detailed configuration report for all interfaces, including any remote access adapters.

Within the IPConfig results, if the IP address is returned as 169.254.y.z with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, the IP address was assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows Vista. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration; that no DHCP server was found. Since the AX is providing the DHCP server service, this would be telling us that the wireless network adapter on the PC is unable to find or communicate to this server.

If, on the other hand, the IP address is returned with a value of 10.0.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, then the adapter was able to find and communicate with the AX.

Please post back your results.

Jan 19, 2011 8:08 PM in response to Tesserax

ok... here goes... im going to tell you what each ipconfig came back as

when i did the /release: it came back and said "The requested operation requires elevation."

when i did the /renew: it came back and said "Windows IP Configuration. An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

when i did the /all: I don't see anything just just outright says IP address, i do see IPv4 Address 10.0.1.3(Preferred) I do see the Subnet Mask and its 255.255.255.0 And I do see something that says DHCP Enabled: Yes.

I hope that was the information you wanted...

Jan 19, 2011 8:32 PM in response to Havok2676

when i did the /all: I don't see anything just just outright says IP address, i do see IPv4 Address 10.0.1.3(Preferred) I do see the Subnet Mask and its 255.255.255.0 And I do see something that says DHCP Enabled: Yes.

This is saying that the wireless adapter in the laptop can communicate with the AX and is successfully getting its IP address & Subnet Mask information from the AX's DHCP Server service ... so the issue is not a communication one between the laptop and the router.

What we also want to know is the values for the DNS servers.

Please re-run just the ipconfig /all command again and let me know what you get for the following values:

o DHCP Server
o DNS Servers
o NetBIOS over Tcpip

HP Laptop with Vista not able to connect to internet thru airport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.