Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Acrobat ClearScan + Preview.app

Hello all,

I am using Adobe Acrobat X to vectorize characters in scanned books with Adobe's ClearScan technology which produces a custom font set for each PDF.

ClearScanned PDFs are greatly beautiful and light, and Preview.app can open them properly. However, when I save the PDFs after putting some comments in them, the text of PDFs become non-searchble.

Does anyone know how to avoid this problem?

MacBook Pro 15 (i7), Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 3:03 PM

8 replies

Mar 30, 2011 10:34 AM in response to Akira Okumura

Hi Akira,

I do have the same problem and did some research through various message boards. Apparently Apple's Preview viewer deletes the non-system font information that is put in the PDF file by Acrobat while doing a 'Clearscan'. So as soon as you save the file using Preview, you unknowingly delete all the information on the text 'behind' the visible characters. This is a huge issue for me as I highlight through a lot of PDF documents which I receive from various sources and many of the older documents are scanned using Acrobat's Clearscan feature to restore smooth fonts and drastically reduce the size of the documents.

One solution is to stop using Apple's Preview tool and use another tool. Some have mentioned that Skim provides annotations in a different file without affecting the source PDF. Another solution if you have access to Acrobat (for which there is a 30 day trial option) is to save the document to a TIFF image file and then re-OCR the file using the 'retain image' option. The disadvantage is that this file will be much bigger and slower to scroll if you want reasonably smooth text. If you do this, you should set the properties for output to TIFF and convert to PDF options to use 600dpi (or at least 300dpi) and use lossless compression on images so that your text stays nice looking. If you ensure that your TIFF output is in black-and-white the file shouldn't be ridiculously large.

Hopefully they will fix that problem with Preview soon. The improvements made to the highlighting feature of Preview made an essential tool for my daily work and that of many other academics.

Aug 15, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Akira Okumura

Hi Akira,

Are you sure? I just tried it on my 10.8 machine and after saving my changes to the PDF file, all OCR information is gone again.

Looking on the date of your initial post I just realized how Apple seems to disregard this issue completely, given the fact that with other alternative PDF viewers (GoodReader on iOS for example) I never had issues while annotating ClearScan files. So, other competitors care for ClearScan support, but why is Apple not?

So, I will need to install Acrobat Reader again... sigh.

Dec 26, 2015 8:15 PM in response to Akira Okumura

This bug is several years old and still not fixed in El Capitan. 😟

But it made me re-discover a very useful feature of OS X: the document lock.

Select a PDF in the finder and open "Get Info" (cmd-I). Then tick the lock checkbox.

This makes it more difficult to inadvertedly save and alter a "ClearScan"-PDF using Preview, because Preview will ask you to duplicate or to unlock the locked file if you attempt to save it.

Acrobat ClearScan + Preview.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.