Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PPTs exported from Keynote won't open in Powerpoint 12.2.8

When I export a Keynote 09 file as a Powerpoint and then try to open it in Powerpoint 12.2.8 I get the following error message. "There was an error accessing Symbiont:Users:Symbiodin:Desktop:02EpitheliatextA.ppt This happens with all files I export as ppts, not just one. Curiously, the files will open in Powerpoint 12.2.7? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or better yet, have a solution for it. (-;{

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 6:08 PM

3 replies

Jan 19, 2011 9:58 PM in response to Symbiodin

I also had this problem. I found, by trial and error, that an image I had in my master slides caused the issue. When I removed it, exporting to PowerPoint worked correctly.

This image had been there for a long time, and I'm not sure what was wrong with that image. It used to export fine with older versions of Keynote. Or the latest Office update broke it. I'm not sure who is at fault, as I updated both. 🙂

Anyway, that might be something to try. Either in the master slides, or one of the slides.

Jan 25, 2011 1:14 PM in response to Symbiodin

I can confirm what Jamie Curmi is seeing. I had a few slides with grouped objects (one with grouped shapes, and another with grouped images), so I ungrouped them and had no issues. In my case I didn't have to remove anything, just ungroup. Hopefully that may be an option for you Jamie. Other threads on this topic have found that opening the converted Keynote file in an older version of PowerPoint, saving it from there, and it opens fine in PowerPoint 2011.

Feb 10, 2011 5:00 PM in response to Symbiodin

Yes, there's definitely an issue here involving quite specific versions of PowerPoint - 12.2.8, and possibly only the latest iWork update to Keynote...
I wonder whether Microsoft will resolve with a patch at their end before Apple resolves with a Keynote patch?
In the mean time, us mere mortals have to content ourselves with
a) avoiding grouped items in Keynote, or
b) opening the PPTs in a different version of PowerPoint first...

PPTs exported from Keynote won't open in Powerpoint 12.2.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.