Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set safari to ask for download folder

Can't imagine this is not possible. As a lot of appliacnes nowadays use the browser to backup images, backups, configurations and alike, one has to be able to keep these files in different directories, not in 1 big garbage 'downloads'.
How can I tell safari to ask me for the download folder each time?

macbook pro 15 i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 1:10 AM

60 replies

Jan 31, 2017 1:33 PM in response to straydogstudio

Many software programs (websites) don't use "standard" hyperlinks directly to files in their interfaces, so this isn't an option in that case. For example, cPanel's File Manager. The right-click menu is custom, and Download is driven via JavaScript. In those cases, the download automatically sends the file to the default Download folder. This is a problem with very large files that need to be saved elsewhere, especially if you simply don't have enough disc space to even download the files to the current Download folder.

(I believe another user here posted an answer in this conversation involving changing the default Download folder, but as far as I know there is still no action-by-action prompt - as there is with other browsers - to specify a Download location when a download is initiated in a non-standard way, such as a "select from this list and click the button to begin download" type of scenario, such as in cPanel's File Manager. There are tons of other highly-used tools that have this same problem with Safari. There should be an option added to Safari to chose a download location, IMO. Pretty much all other modern browsers support this.)

Apr 15, 2011 5:50 AM in response to Gedp

This feature is bizarrely missing from Safari (i.e. choose your download destination for each download). It's the one thing that makes me question my use of Safari as the browser of choice. I float back and forth between Safari, Chrome and Firefox. There are things I find frustrating about each browser, but Safari's most annoying missing feature is the ability to choose your download folder each time. Weird. Who's in charge?

Sep 14, 2011 3:33 PM in response to Klaus1

You are.

Safari Preferences/General - 'Save downloaded files to'.

Argh- that's not the solution, that's literally just relocating the problem.

Easiest way is to have your downloads folder on the desktop, then drag and drop as desired.

That's not easier! That's several extra steps. I need to open a few windows, move from Safari to Finder, and then use the mouse/trackpad.

Bizarrely this is one area where old versions of Internet Explorer were superior. When I click a "download" link in an academic site like Blackboard or TWEN, the file invisibly appears in my downloads folder. If I click twice, two files appear. If the filename turns out to be something odd, finding it later becomes difficult. With old IE, when I clicked such a link I got a dialogue to decide where to save it- an opportunity to put it in the right folder in the first place, which in Mac OS would literally be only two clicks (slect folder, click "save") and then could even use a check-box to open the file upon download.

Lion seems to hate folders. With the new "all my files" puddle, it seems clear that Apple wants us all to keep our files in disorganized piles. My mother taught me not to live like that in my house, so why would I do it in my computer?

Feb 9, 2012 5:34 PM in response to jayratch

I agree!! I find it UTTERLY bizarre that they don't offer this option. Surely it's a real ABC obvious feature, that doesn't get in the way of anything else, but whose lack makes life infinitely more annoying and tricky for people like you and I! I was only a recent convert to Safari, but I am going to have to revert back to something else, this is unsustainable!

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who finds this so frustrating!

I never usually use this many exclamation points! I must be particularly cross about this!

Feb 9, 2012 7:23 PM in response to anniesh

The workaround that I've settled on for now is twofold. One, I try to use Firefox or Chrome on the occasions when I know that my intention is to download lots of files- such as when I log in to a school "portal" site such as Blackboard. Firefox behaves perfectly for this task, but is inferior to Safari in lots of other ways.

Another adaptation that I've imposed on myself is keeping my Downloads folder meticulously organized and sparse, so that when I am forced to download from Safari, finding the file is less of a hassle. Sometimes I even put aliases to my usual "target" folders right within the Downloads folder.

User uploaded file

Between the aliases within the folder and my heavy use of Finder Sidebar shortcuts, it's a lot easier for me to keep track of downloads. But the worst is the filenames. The one file that's named with a bunch of numbers is a legal decision downloaded from West Law, a database that I rely on for law school. I always prefer to include the name of the case in the filename, so when they accumulate in their default filenames, I always have to go back and customize them.

On the whole it ends up not being a big enough issue to justify not using Safari. It's just one of the many ways in which Apple clearly took a step away from customization in Lion, and we power users are the ones who suffer.

Mar 2, 2012 4:22 AM in response to jayratch

I have made a folder on the desktop called "Temp Download" and have pointed Safari to download the files into this folder. As soon as the files are downloaded (or at the earliest), I drag them to the desired location. I make sure that at any given point of time my "Temp Download" is clean and not cluttered with files/folders. I simply refuse to use any other browser as there is too much to loose if you dont use Safari on your Mac

Aug 5, 2012 8:42 PM in response to Gedp

Wait, is this really an issue? I just tried to do this as my download folder has become over-blown (fairly new Mac user), and I was just too lazy to deal with it before. I figured it was an easy fix. Wow...that's absurdly lame. I can't believe more people are not upset about this??? And...how is it 2012, and Apple hasn't figured out one of the most basic elements for their internet browser? Who is working on this? Actually...I don't care. Safari is officially retired as of now...back to Google Chorme for me. In fact, as I keep trying to accpet Apple, I realize I'm sick and tired of the "Apple knows best" philosophy. Stoked to see what Google has in store for us in the future. Seems like they actually listen to their customers. Don't even bother answering this, Apple, like you even care. This is like the 7th thing I found that shows me you have no interest in your customers. I don't even know why I waste my time.

Aug 5, 2012 8:55 PM in response to TheGman21

Seriously?? Why would you think this is a fix? There's a simple "Save As" answer. Why do you all think this is okay? If this is what you have to do to use your Mac, then switch freakin' computers/operating systems. This feature has been standard on every single other browser since what...1998? Screw Apple. I'm done. Let them sell their phones as that's clearly what they want to do (somehting like 70% of profits come from the iPhone). I'm astounded by the number of diehards out there like you that keep bending over for Apple. Serisoulsy, read your response, and tell me it's not absurd. They've lost interest in computers....do you think it's going to get better from here? Get out while you can!!! Linux is calling you.

Sep 15, 2012 3:43 PM in response to Gedp

Yea, it's possible. It's possible all other browsers for the Mac have this feature except Safari. It's also possible that right up to 9 months ago, Safari had this feature also - read into that THE FOOLS TOOK IT OUT.

Why does Apple even bother with Safari? They don't listen to what we users want and need, and it's probably the most unreliable browser in the stable. It mangles java script, Flash and HTML5. It's like they're trying to beat Microsoft at I.E., circa 1995. Accordingly, nobody uses IE anymore either - that's why we have a choice. Like it or not, Firefox has them all beat.

Then along came Retina, and caught everyone with their pants down exect (wouldn't you know it) Safari. But they're catching up, one by one. Even Opera is using hi-res now, and who knows what Google's up to.

But no, Apple's got a big whole like this in every product they make - and for one reason. Their QA, testing and user feedback is nil

How to set safari to ask for download folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.