Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages that file name/path is too long

I've been using Macs for a very long time and ran into a problem using the new Office 2011 that may be Mac OS related.

When I save a file, I sometimes receive a message that the file/path exceeds 256 characters and can't be saved. It's been my understanding that the file name can be 256 excluding the path but apparently I am misinformed. In addition to the saving problem, it crashes the autosave function in Office (I assume because it doesn't know where to save because of the long name). I'm trying to come up with a solution short of restructuring folders, which would be problematic for organizing my business data.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

iMac and G5's, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 8:10 AM

Acccording to:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9433138#9433138

and links therein, "For maximum compatibility, the length of the path should be 1024 bytes or less," and file names of 255 characters.

Office itself may be imposing restrictions since the one bit of easy to find information was that Windows has a 255 character restriction on the whole path.

Also read:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11083620#11083620

I don't have Office 11. This may be something put in by Microsoft as a left-over from the Windows version, or something inserted to provide compatibility with Windows users. I would check compatibility preferences in Word's preferences since there may be something you can unset there.

Message was edited by: Limnos
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2011 8:10 AM in response to Claire'sMacs

Acccording to:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9433138#9433138

and links therein, "For maximum compatibility, the length of the path should be 1024 bytes or less," and file names of 255 characters.

Office itself may be imposing restrictions since the one bit of easy to find information was that Windows has a 255 character restriction on the whole path.

Also read:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11083620#11083620

I don't have Office 11. This may be something put in by Microsoft as a left-over from the Windows version, or something inserted to provide compatibility with Windows users. I would check compatibility preferences in Word's preferences since there may be something you can unset there.

Message was edited by: Limnos

Apr 3, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Claire'sMacs

I have Word 2011 (Mac), running OS X 10.7.5 Lion.
I encountered this problem — that I was unable to save a file to a particular folder location. I got this error message: "Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume."

The problem had nothing to due with Permissions or with a "Naming" error (such as disallowed characters). It had everything to do with the length of the file's PATH . . . that is, the total sum of characters in the various nested folders (that is, folders within folders within folders, etc.) that led to the folder where I wanted to save the Word file.
I had exceeded the total number of path characters allowed by Word. This restriction is coded into the application; there's no way to alter that restriction.

When I took a look at the names of the various nested folders, I found that some folders had unnecessarily long names.

I shortened the names of the offending folders (I got rid of some unnecessary descriptive text). THAT DID THE TRICK.

Nov 1, 2015 9:42 AM in response to nicolettedanagrin

Thank you nicolettedanagrin!
Although I found that "Long Path Tool" is for Windows computers only, it DID lead me to find a software app solution to another problem that sometimes arises.

Sometimes, after I drag a file to the Trash [Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion], when I try to Empty the trash, I get an error message that reads, "Trash can't be emptied because the file [name of file] is being used by another application."
I have found this to be frustrating, because the Mac Finder doesn't say which app is using the file. It is always some app that is OTHER THAN the app that was used to create the file.
So, I routinely proceed to close one open app after another, trying to find what's keeping me from Emptying the trash.

As a result of searching for a Mac-based alternative to "Long Path Tool," I found the FREE app, "Lock-UnMatic" (v1.5) for Mac, which addresses the issue of being unable to Empty the Trash.
I downloaded it, and am ready to try it out the next time I get that blasted message about Emptying the Trash.

Messages that file name/path is too long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.