Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command line enable of VNC/Remote Management?

I have a situation where I need to enable remove mgmt (VNC) on my Mac at work, so I can get to it over VPN at home, to access my Parallels, etc. I can ssh to the system, but can't figure out how to enable the Remote Desktop (and it's specific parameters) via the command line. I believe it would be a defaults write.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I just want to restrict VNC with a Password, then disable it when I'm done.

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 10:56 AM

10 replies

Jan 18, 2011 11:19 AM in response to Forrest

Hi

+"I believe it would be a defaults write?"+

Actually no. What you're looking for is the kickstart utility:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2370

Even if you do this you may still not be able to gain access using VNC/ARD. The appropriate ports will need to be opened and forwarding to the appropriate LAN IP address at whatever is being used as the Firewall at the remote network's edge.

Tony

Jan 18, 2011 11:34 AM in response to Forrest

Hi

Difficult to see why you're hesitating to use the kickstart utility as that will do what you originally asked. Just because it does not specifically mention VNC does not mean VNC is not running or working.

VNC Server and Client is built into OSX since 10.5. If you enable Remote Management it will open ports 5900 and 3283 on that workstation. Port 5900 is the VNC Port and port 3283 is the special control port Apple add to the built in VNC/ARD Agent to allow their dedicated management VNC Server application - Apple Remote Desktop - to offer a lot more than simple control for remote clients. You don't have to buy ARD to do what you want.

Enabling Screen Sharing only opens port 5900. On a Mac all you need is the local admin's name and password of the client workstation you're trying to control. If you're trying to control a mac from a PC then you'd need a dedicated VNC Viewer installing on the PC. Something like RealVNC Viewer. To allow the PC to control the mac you would have to add a VNC password option which should not be the same as the local admin's password.

Tony

Jan 18, 2011 11:51 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

I don't care if something is 'cack' or not, as long as it allows me to get the job done 🙂

I tried this command:

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ki ckstart -activate -configure -access -on -restart -agent -privs -all

and I can't telnet to the port. I logged in (SSH) and don't even see the port listening in netstat.

Command line enable of VNC/Remote Management?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.