Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get Airport installed after I buy a MacPro?

I am extremely confused about Airport. I have a Macbook Pro laptop that came with airport installed. So basically I just enterend my wireless password and it worked with my wireless router. But I also have a MacPro (Tower) that I did NOT purchase Airport with. So now a little over a year after I bought the MacPro I would like to get Airport for it so I can use it wireless.
But when I go on the Apple page and look for "Airport" all I can find is what appears to be a Wireless Router called "Airport" So if I get that would I need "Airport" installed inside my MacPro? Im confused...

MacPro & MacbookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 2.8 (8X)...10GB Ram...640GB HDD/VISTA 32...10GB Ram...320 GB HDD/640HDD for Audi

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 7:36 PM

Damballa wrote:
when I go on the Apple page and look for "Airport" all I can find is what appears to be a Wireless Router called "Airport".

Yes. That's not what you need. The AirPort card isn't listed on Apple's online store. I suppose it's considered a service part.

What you need is something like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682954-REG/AppleMB988Z_A_AirPort_Extreme_Cardfor.html

depending on the exact model of your Mac Pro.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2011 7:36 PM in response to Damballa

Damballa wrote:
when I go on the Apple page and look for "Airport" all I can find is what appears to be a Wireless Router called "Airport".

Yes. That's not what you need. The AirPort card isn't listed on Apple's online store. I suppose it's considered a service part.

What you need is something like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682954-REG/AppleMB988Z_A_AirPort_Extreme_Cardfor.html

depending on the exact model of your Mac Pro.

Jan 19, 2011 9:48 AM in response to Damballa

Damballa wrote:
I just want to confirm, I have a 2X2.8 Quad Core Intel Xenon Mac Pro. I think I bought it in 2008 or 2009. Im not so good at remembering dates. Will that Nahlem version work for me

If you open System Profiler (Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info) and select the Hardware item on the left, you'll see a "Model Identifier". If it reads "MacPro4,1", then you have a "Mac Pro (Early 2009)", apparently aka "Nehalem", and the item in my link would work. However, your description ("2X2.8 Quad Core Intel Xenon Mac Pro") suggests that you have a "MacPro3,1" (Mac Pro Early 2008).

or do I need this one...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545334-REG/SonnetN80211_EM_Aria_Extreme_NAirport.html

I don't see enough detail for that product to be confident about which Mac Pros work with it. I'd check with the supplier.

Jan 21, 2011 1:30 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Well I called 1800 MYAPPLE and they gave me the numbers of 3-4 places near me that are Authorized resellers. The only one that said they had the part told me it would be 100-150 for the part and another 100 to install. I asked them well what is it? 100 or 150 for the part? He couldnt tell me. So I told them to go shove it up their ***. 200 to 250 bucks to get a 75-100 dollar card popped into a PCI-e slot.
Their address and numbers are...
Computer World
3015 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Appleton, WI 54914
Business: 920-733-9547
Toll-Free: 800-734-9547

Can I get Airport installed after I buy a MacPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.