Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to 64-bit MBP do I need to reinstall apps to run in 64-bit?

Sorry for my ignorance on this. I was on a 32-bit first-gen MBP, just upgraded to a 64-bit MBP and chose to transfer all Settings, Users and Apps from my Time Machine backup.

Since the old machine was 32-bit will I need to re-install any 64-bit capable applications to actually run in 64-bit on my new machine or will they do it automatically?

Also, is there any way to tell what apps would be 64-bit capable if I do need to upgrade/reinstall?

Thanks for the help guys!

G5 PPC 1.8 Ghz 2 Ghz RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 17" 2.8 Ghz MBP 4 GB RAM (10.6 Snow Leopard)

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 3:50 PM

No you can leave your apps alone and there is no need to worry. You can easily tell what apps are 64 bit by going to Activity Monitor (Applications-Utilities-Utility Monitor) and it will show in the column labeled Kind.

There is much confusion about the 32 / 54 bit applications. At this writing there are VERY few applications that are 64 bit and Snow Leopard boots in 32 bit. Even if you force booted in 64 bit you would NOT see any performance increase.

Roger
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2011 3:50 PM in response to TGH

No you can leave your apps alone and there is no need to worry. You can easily tell what apps are 64 bit by going to Activity Monitor (Applications-Utilities-Utility Monitor) and it will show in the column labeled Kind.

There is much confusion about the 32 / 54 bit applications. At this writing there are VERY few applications that are 64 bit and Snow Leopard boots in 32 bit. Even if you force booted in 64 bit you would NOT see any performance increase.

Roger

Upgraded to 64-bit MBP do I need to reinstall apps to run in 64-bit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.