Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update for MBA Won't Show Up

I tried to find the update to the MBA 2010 and it doesn't show up in my software update. I went to the direct download page and downloaded it and ran it and it says it cannot install because it is not relevant. It is a new (late 2010) 13.3" MBA with the latest version of OSX.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 4:56 PM

16 replies

Jan 18, 2011 6:43 PM in response to Tony T1

Tony T1 wrote:
smartpuppy wrote:
Same happened for me. Late 2010 MBA 11" running 10.6.6

The macbook air update is not applicable if you're running 10.6.6

System Requirements
Mac OS X 10.6.5

I don't think it means that. I think it states that you must be running 10.6.5 or later for system requirments.

Apple just released this software update today.

If 10.6.6 fixed the problem they would not have issued this update.

M.

Message was edited by: marconiusrex

Jan 18, 2011 7:36 PM in response to aviya

Well - if that's the case I stand corrected. But I didn't know Apple released software updates for earlier versions of the same OS. If OS X 10.6.6 fixed the problem I would think they would just direct people to update to the most recent version of the OS rather than go to the trouble to release an update that fixes an issue in an older version of the OS.

?????

M

Message was edited by: marconiusrex

Jan 18, 2011 7:57 PM in response to marconiusrex

Think about what this is...this wasn't an update to the OS, it was an update for one of the iLife apps. An actual OS update would be announced, and have incremented the OS version (i.e. 10.6.7). Apple frequently offers incremental updates to different pieces of what they sell (example:, say Final Cut Express needs an update). They'll offer that out there, without much of an announcement, but still it will be there if you perform a Software Update (IF you've got Final Cut Express loaded).

Jan 18, 2011 9:23 PM in response to marconiusrex

Yes, marconiusrex, I agree - it is a little odd.

If it is indeed just for 10.6.5 then that is consistent with the System Requirements - but inconsistent with how it's been broadly reported in the Apple/IT press (which, of course, is beyond Apple's control).

Either way, it's times like this that I wish that Apple would see fit to add *one or two* additional words of clarification on their own descriptions of these updates - would save us all wondering in this case.

Best regards.

Feb 2, 2011 11:55 AM in response to aroclimber

Do NOT believe Software Update. This is a serious problem and it's not clear what is going on. I just encountered it under the following circumstances and as you will see, it is NOT behaving as expected.

Systems:
2 identical MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 gHz laptops

Installed the base OS X 10.6 install as downloaded from the Apple Developer download area. Burned to DVD. Booted DVD, erased internal hard drive using Disk Utility, installed 10.6 on both laptops.

After booting, selected Software Update. One machine saw the 10.6.5 update (and subsequent 10.6.6 update). The other reported confidently that 10.6 was the current version and no updates were necessary.

Clearly something is broken. The current version for all Intel Macs should be 10.6.6. If it doesn't say that in About This Mac and Software Update tells you no updates are available (assuming you are running some version of Snow Leopard), something is broken.

And yes, the manually downloaded 10.6.5 combo updater also fails to install on the machine reporting that it is up to date. There is no logical reason for a clean install of 10.6 to fail to recognize the newer OS updates for Snow Leopard.

I will file a bug report on this, but it'd be helpful if someone from Apple would weigh in here, because this is a real problem for a number of users if the comments here are any indication.

Software Update for MBA Won't Show Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.