Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant get online

Hi, just bought a used G5 , trying to get to the I/net it shows connection to my router, but says it cannot connect to the server. All other wireless devices in the house work just fine. gives me the message "to go back and change the settings, I do and no luck. Also " settings have been changed by another program",I'm not real computer smart , so what can I do? Thanks

imac g5, Mac OS X (10.3.x), 1.8ghz 1gb 600mhz airport extreme

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 8:41 PM

3 replies

Jan 19, 2011 1:41 PM in response to kmoo1302

You have a reply to your original post on this topic; so
that still exists in the original location, as well; for now.

Also this issue you note, in an error or dialog box:
*+"settings have been changed by another program"+*
has bothered other users at different points in time
and has its own possible cures, and they may apply.

A google search of those words, will give you several
online user forum questions and replies to that topic.

Since the suggested steps vary, and sometimes they
did not work at first attempt, I will not suggest any here.
This topic has also been addressed in Apple Discussions.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jan 21, 2011 11:54 AM in response to kmoo1302

kmoo1302 wrote:
it shows connection to my router, but says it cannot connect to the server.

Do you connect to your wireless network or not ?
Open the Network System Preference and tell us what your IP address is. Is it like 169.x.x.x ? or more like 192.168.x.x ?
"showing connection to your router", if you're attempting the connection by wireless means, may just be the iMac showing the network signal strength, and you haven't connected to anything. The format of the IP address will confirm whether you're connected or not.

While you're in the Network System Pref, is there anything in the DNS Servers box (about 2 lines below the IP address) ? Write it down and remove it if it is. It could be DNS servers for the previous owners ISP, you may be attempting to connect to them to translate web addresses and it may be ignoring you. If you leave it blank, it should pass all DNS requests on to the router. It may or may not have them set, if not, all DNS requests are passed onto the ISP, and so on.

cant get online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.