Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi interference

I've read many posts here regarding difficulties with AppleTV (gen 2) on WiFi, including slow speeds, failures to connect, "Waiting for Network Time", etc...

I bought and installed my AppleTV last night, with no problems whatsoever, and it worked just great all evening and all day today. Until tonight. When I got home from work, even though my wife and kids had used it successfully during the day, when I fired it up - nothing. No connection, and when I tried to reconnect, I got all the above errors and a lot of frustration.

Long story short - what solved it for me was identifying a source of interference near the AppleTV box itself. In my case, it was an ioGear 3-port electronic HDMI switch. When I first installed my AppleTV, it was sitting 6 inches away from the switch. Tonight, I mounted both the switch and the AppleTV with Velcro, and located them directly next to each other. Once I tried moving them apart again, all connectivity problems disappeared.

My conclusion is that the AppleTV is particularly susceptible to interference. If you're having trouble, try moving the box to a different location away from potential sources of interference. Also, try switching your router's broadcast channel. There may be other APs in the area on the same channel messing up the works.

iPhone 4; iPad 32gb WiFi; AppleTV gen 2, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 9:03 PM

2 replies

WiFi interference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.