Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motherboard connectors on 2008 Mac Pro

Hi everyone, I am installing a 5770 graphics card plus an SSD and extra 3.5" drive in the second optical drive bay of my 2008 Mac Pro. I'm also replacing the current faulty optical drive. I bought all the stuff from OWC but they didn't include any instructions for the 5770 and limited ones for the drives. I've worked out how to install the card but I want to be sure to connect the power to the right socket on the motherboard. The Apple instructions shows them differently to mine and names them connector A and B with both marked as PCIE AUX. Mine are marked PCIE and Boost. I figure it should be the PCIE one. Yes? Also I will probably have to keep coming back with more questions as I install the drives. Thanks in advance.

2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 6G RAM, Late 2008 MacBook, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 5:08 PM

No need to use the east connections on the motherboard if you have an empty drive bay.

Mount your ssd on an OWC adaptadrive,

User uploaded fileand mount the adaptadrive on one of the Mac Pro Drive Bay Sleds and just plug it in as if you were putting in a regular 3½ inch HDD. Since you are probably going to want to use the new SSD as your boot drive, you are going to have to clone your boot disk over to the SSD using something like CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2017 5:08 PM in response to Magicpony

No need to use the east connections on the motherboard if you have an empty drive bay.

Mount your ssd on an OWC adaptadrive,

User uploaded fileand mount the adaptadrive on one of the Mac Pro Drive Bay Sleds and just plug it in as if you were putting in a regular 3½ inch HDD. Since you are probably going to want to use the new SSD as your boot drive, you are going to have to clone your boot disk over to the SSD using something like CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner).

Feb 22, 2017 6:43 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

This is the only blue sled that I found at OWC and it will not work in MacPro's. If you found a different one, let me know as the one I posted is half again more expensive than this one.

OWC 2.5" to 3.5" Drive Adapter Bracket

User uploaded file

Compatible with side mounted bays. Not compatible with front mounted bays like those in the Mac Pro. I am also presuming that Apple's sled's and sled mounting tracks are patent protected.

Mar 2, 2012 11:29 AM in response to TStam

Just curious, with the 5770 are you able to play HD purchased content in iTunes? I "upgraded" to the Nvidia GT-120 once and was greeted with the HDCP error. Could only watch SD. I returned the card and used a GTX-285, which worked fine but is now failingt. I am considering the ATI for my 2008, but am afraid this may happen again.

Motherboard connectors on 2008 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.