12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2013 1:21 PM by Kirby Krieger
Panzerbjorne Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have Aperture 3.1.1 and Photoshop CS4 11.0.2. The photos I am talking about in the post are 16-bit tiff files.

When I apply adjustments to the photos and then export to PS, I expect to get a new version of the photo in PS with the adjustments. However, all I get is the unadjusted version.

I have tried TIFF and PSD formats, and I have tried changing to another external editor - Pixelmator - with no effect on the above behaviour.

Is this expected? If so, is there another way that I can export to an external editor while carrying adjustments over?

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,720 points)
    It should work, works for me.

Are you sure you're exporting the adjusted version and not the master? What happens if you export the version to the desktop instead of the external editor. Does that image have the adjustments?

Also are you setting anything in the *external color space* field in Preferences?
  • Panzerbjorne Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the response. I only have one version in the library to which I applied the adjustments (I can see the underlying master if I press the M key). Is that the correct one to use or should be creating another version prior to export?

I have used sRGB and ProPhoto in the color space field.
    Thanks for the response. I only have one version in the library to which I applied the adjustments (I can see the underlying master if I press the M key). Is that the correct one to use or should be creating another version prior to export?

I have used sRGB and ProPhoto in the color space field.  
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)
    It should work the way you are doing it.

What happens when you create a new Version and export the new Version?

What kind of files does this happen to, how did you get them into Aperture, and have they had an external adjustments (i.e.: with an external editor or plug-in) made to them?
    I was travelling so couldn try this earlier. However, your suggestion worked. After I created new duplicate versions and exported to the editor, the adjustments carried over to the external editor.

I realised this problem is affecting photos which have been edited with a plug-in - the Nik Software Color Efex Pro. I still don't understand why this is happening though...
  • jthj Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm experiencing the same thing with the Nik plugins and PT Lens. I definitely think there is a bug here as I shouldn't have to duplicate the version after each step in a workflow if I want to use an external plugin.

I just wanted to add that the problem seems to happen to adjustments I make after using one of the plugins and then applying adjustments on top of that.

This is normal, afaik.  (You might start a new thread and supply specifics.)

For _each_ plug-in you use, Aperture creates a new Original from the current Image (that is, based on that Image's Original and any current adjustments and/or metadata changes).

If you send an Image _back_ to a plug in, Aperture _changes_ that Image's Original, and then re-applies that Image's adjustments and metadata to the changed Original.  (This is, notably, destructive editing.)

If you want your adjustments to be included in an Image you send _back_ to a plug-in, you must create a new Version, and then send that Image to the plug-in.

The tag "has been edited by plug-in" is _Versions-specific_.  You can see this for yourself.  Edit an image with a plug-in -- the "Externally Edited" badge appears.  Duplicate that Image -- the "Externally Edited" badge is removed.

Kirby_Capture81.jpg

After reading this I think you're correct sir.

https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3002437?hl=en&ref_topic=3001470

Thanks

You're welcome (I think).

After reading the Google/NIK support page, the only thing that made sense to me was they don't know how Aperture or NIK works.  I left feedback with Google/NIK regarding the following:

I made RAW edits using Aperture on a version and went into one of the plug-ins, and now I can't see the RAW edits?

The plug-ins in Aperture cannot show the preview of RAW adjustments made to a non-master version. The Image Preview in the plug-ins will reflect any changes made other than the RAW adjustments, and when you finish enhancing the image in the plug-in, the enhancement will be applied and the RAW adjustments will be re-applied, allowing you to fine tune those RAW adjustments if you choose.

What I think is odd about it is that if I don't need to duplicate the version for edits made before I edit in a plugin but do need to if I make adjustments after a plugin edit and want to go to another plugin or external editor. I think it's a quirk of Aperture and not Nik as the same thing happens with PT Lens.

I was also thinking if we've moved to a Tiff file to go to the plugin it doesn't make sense as you observed. Or at least I assume that's what you're referring to.

jthj wrote:

What I think is odd about it is that if I don't need to duplicate the version for edits made before I edit in a plugin but do need to if I make adjustments after a plugin edit and want to go to another plugin or external editor. I think it's a quirk of Aperture and not Nik as the same thing happens with PT Lens.

It is how Aperture works.  I wasn't singling out NIK for handling the files differently -- I was trying to point out that their description of the file handling makes no sense (or is wrong).

As for the first part above:

Aperture is rigorously non-destructive.  In order to have a file to send to a plug-in, and to _not_ alter the Original, it _must_ create a new file when you first send an Image to a plug-in.  (On this forum that file has been called a "quasi-Original" in order to distinguish it from the, er, other Original.)  That much -- the automatic creation of a new quasi-Original from the Image selected for editing with a plug-in -- makes sense to me.

The next issue for the designers is what to do when the user wants to _return_ to a plug-in to continue editing using a plug-in.  They can either:

- create _another_ quasi-Original, and send that to the external editor, or

- use the existing quasi-Original, and send it to the external editor.

Each of these makes sense to me.  I prefer the option they did not choose -- that each time you send an Image to a plug-in, a new quasi-Original is made -- but note that the one they did choose leaves you the choice to duplicate the Version and have Aperture make that additional quasi-Original.  Had they made the other choice, it would have been difficult to return the first quasi-Original to the plug-in for editing.