Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "Other" data in iTunes for my iPhone? And why is it over a GB?

In iTunes, my iPhone reports I have 1.6GB of "Other" data. It appeared immediately after I deleted and unsubscribed from a podcast (via iTunes) which had 24 large videos, and then sync'd with my iPhone (which was running out of space).

The podcasts appeared to be removed from my iPhone, however I still had no space and I saw that now I had this 1.6GB of other stuff.

I had a look around for answers on this and the default answer given is "restore your iPhone". So I did a backup and then did a restore to that backup. I don't have an earlier backup (except one that's from last year) and I really don't want to lose my app data and settings.

The restore didn't remove the 1.6GB of data.

So the question is, am I right in assuming the 1.6GB of other data is the left over podcasts that are now corrupt somehow? Or is it something else? i.e. What constitutes "other" data?

Second, any other ideas how to get rid of that other data?

Thank

Boz

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4, Windows 7 (rocks)

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 5:35 AM

Other that large is corrupt data. Normally, a restore from backup fixes things. In your case it looks like a restore as a "new" device is going to be the only way to fix this. Unfortunately, you will lose all saved data on your phone. You can try resetting your phone, but if that doesn't work, there is no other solution other than restoring.

Reset:

Press the sleep/wake button & home button at the same time, keep pressing until you see the Apple logo, then release(ignore the slide to power off). I would also suggest syncing after doing this to see if this returns your other to normal.
44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2011 5:35 AM in response to jjkboswell

Other that large is corrupt data. Normally, a restore from backup fixes things. In your case it looks like a restore as a "new" device is going to be the only way to fix this. Unfortunately, you will lose all saved data on your phone. You can try resetting your phone, but if that doesn't work, there is no other solution other than restoring.

Reset:

Press the sleep/wake button & home button at the same time, keep pressing until you see the Apple logo, then release(ignore the slide to power off). I would also suggest syncing after doing this to see if this returns your other to normal.

Jan 19, 2011 6:42 AM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

A copy of your message for reference:

Restoring to a new phone is not an option. I am not going to lose 18 months worth of accumulated data just because iTunes/iPhone has screwed up.

I really hope there are some other options out there, as this is frankly ridiculous. Could I delete this data by other means (Apple deleted my post for mentioning the J word so I won't say that.) May be there are apps that can probe this "Other" data and clear it out properly?

Boz

Jan 19, 2011 7:29 AM in response to paulcb

paulcb wrote:
What data are you concerned about? You will lose texts, games scores and app settings but that's about it. You should be able to re-sync everything else.

Yes, that's a lot of data that I don't want to lose. To put my iPhone back into the state it is now, with all my messages, settings, apps and games configured correctly (not all apps support cloud storage or backup facilities) will take a very long time. The data on my iPhone defines my iPhone, and to trivialise it as something you can throw away and start over kind of breaks the whole idea of an iOS device. That topic can be discussed elsewhere.

For now, please, any other idea how I can clear this data off? Am I restoring right? I set a backup and restore to that backup. Would this normally clear the problem, or do you have to go back to a backup prior to the problem?

Boz

Jan 19, 2011 7:34 AM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:
I've given you all of your supported options to fix this. What you ultimately decide to do is your choice. I will tell you this, if you use Google & try an "unsupported" method, you run the real risk of completely screwing your phone up unless you know what you're doing.

Not a lot of choice. Lose all my data, or risk wiping the phone (although I've never seen this happen, and an awful lot of people have success.)

I think on reflection I'll wait until end of contract and switch to Android. I've had to restore my phone too often now (see my post history in case you're interested).

Thanks anyway.

Boz

Jan 20, 2011 5:03 AM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:
Other that large is corrupt data. Normally, a restore from backup fixes things.

So, I discovered something new about iTunes today. The "Restore from backup" context menu option that appears when you click your iOS device in the Devices tree on the left of iTunes, is different from the "Restore" button that you get on the Summary tab for your device.

"Restore from backup" just does an restore from backup. Whereas the Restore button does a restore and then restore from backup. Make sense? Hmm.

This distinctly different functionality is not clear to the user, indeed the advice I was given above was to "Restore from backup", which in this instance is not what is needed to clear out the "Other" data.

In summary, to fix my problem I:
- performed a complete Backup (from iOS Device context menu)
- performed a Restore (clicked Restore button on Summary tab)
- after device is reset with latest iOS software, chose latest backup

My other data shrank to 0.2Gb, and as an added bonus another 1.4 GB of other space was freed up from Apps and Video, even though I can't find anything missing, so I suspect there was other non-"Other" data that was cleared out by this procedure.

Boz

Feb 24, 2011 11:57 PM in response to jjkboswell

jjkboswell, I replied to your topic about the lost Parental Pin and decided to look at your post history since I was curious if you are active on these forums and will actually see my reply (since your original question was back a couple months ago). I'm disgusted by the fact that so many people on these forums are too lazy to actually give good solutions to problems and just tell people "Restore". This seems to be the iOS version of the windows "Format" solution to any system instability issues. I'm a software engineer and develop for iOS devices and just wanted to let you know that if you have any questions in the future to just contact me directly. As this forum does not have a Private Message feature if you could point me towards a way to contact you directly I will provide you with my contact information and will answer any questions you might have in the future.

Mar 14, 2011 5:37 AM in response to jjkboswell

Hello Boz, and all,

Thank you for your very useful clarifications. I'm about to do the same thing and just before I do that I'd very much appreciate your advise in more details, if I may. So, if I understood correctly:

1. When I will finish Restore by pressing the button in the Summary tab I will receive completely emptied iPhone - like brand new, without my purchased apps and any data - is this right?

2. When then I'll restore from the last saved back-up I'll get all my data and Apps settings back (as I read on iPhone support page), BUT WITHOUT Purchased apps - is this correct?

3. If yes - will I be able to restore my purchased apps back from Device Apps tab (on iTunes) if I then Sync them via iTunes, or should I reinstall all my purchassed Apps from AppStore again? Will it give me back all my Apps settings and docs back? (Or only settings?, or nothing?

4. Is there any other data that I'll loose (settings, docs or anything like that) that I have to woory about (just to back-up them to be on the safe side)?

Any other details you think is appropriate in terms of saving as much data as possible would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Mar 14, 2011 6:23 AM in response to paatajin

paatajin wrote:

2. When then I'll restore from the last saved back-up I'll get all my data and Apps settings back (as I read on iPhone support page), BUT WITHOUT Purchased apps - is this correct?

This defeats the purpose of restoring as new. When you restore from your backup you will simply re-introduce the problem you are trying to resolve.
The large amount of "Other" data is corruption in your backup, you do not want to restore from your backup.

When you restore as new, you can then re-sync your contacts, calendar, and apps from iTunes back to the device. No need to redownload anything from the app store.

You will lose all your game progress and settings.

Mar 16, 2011 4:38 AM in response to diesel vdub

Thank you for your reply. It indeed sounds very logical, just what I've learned from another reply is that after restoring from latest backup "Other" shrunk significantly, so may be it makes a sense?

I'm not worrying about games scores and settings (I'm not a big game player), what I worry about is the application data that I have a lot, as well as e-mail accounts and network settings, so if I'll restore as New the I'll be in need to restore all of them again manually App by App...

So, what I think to do is to try to restore from last backup first, and if this does not help, then to restore again as New (if so many Restores is OK for phone devise)...

Any other feedback/advise would be MUCH appreciated!..

Best regards.

What is "Other" data in iTunes for my iPhone? And why is it over a GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.