Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing "Connection Failed"

Hi

I have a newly purchased MacMini and a year old MacBook Pro, both running 10.6.6.

When I turn on File Sharing (with the afp option set) on the MacMini
it appears in the Finder sidebar on the MacBook.

When I try to connect to the MacMini from the MackBook it says "Connection Failed"
and the MacMini disappears from the Finder sidebar.

After that, when I look at System Preferences on the MacMini, File Sharing is off.

Any ideas?

MANY THANKS!

Mike

2010 MacMini & 2009 MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 7:40 AM

11 replies

Jan 19, 2011 7:44 AM in response to reeve_mike

I used to see this with some Leopard file shares. It was a corruption of the com.apple.ByteRangeLocking.plist file found in /Library/Preferences/. Try turning off sharing, then transfer the MBP's version of that file to the Mini (any way except through AFP, obviously - use a flash drive if you have one), delete the Mini's version and replace it.

Let me know if that works.

Matt

Feb 2, 2011 12:00 AM in response to reeve_mike

I have a Mac Mini running 10.6.6, and the exact same problem occurred as well. I could see my Mini's share icon on the other Mac's finder. And when i click to connect, i get the spinning wheel for a while and then error message "Connection Failed." I tried doing both things mentioned above and none could solve my problem.

I also notice that when clicking through the File Sharing and Security option under Pref panel of my Mini, it takes a while to load the data. It seems there's some sort of DNS issue involved. Though i can connect to the Internet and other Macs from my Mini ok.

Please help!

Steven

Feb 17, 2011 11:59 AM in response to signol

Similar story here. I have a network of imac + macbooks. All computers have the same settings versions of OSX (10.6.6). The imac can connect to all macbooks. My PowerBook Pro cannot connect back to the imac. It can successfully PING the imac. I have no idea what's going on. Would be very interested to hear if you find a solution

Mar 17, 2011 2:34 AM in response to Chris Lord

I seem to have found a solution to my problem.

After more experimentation I found that not only was File Sharing not working neither was Printer Sharing. However printer sharing worked if both computers were connected to my Netgear router by ethernet but not when the laptop was connected wirelessly.

This indicated a wireless problem and as both could access the internet however connected to the router it looked as though the router was not passing an incoming wireless message from the laptop out to the iMac via ethernet.

Consequently I switched everything off, unplugged it all from the mains power supply and left it for 25 minutes. On reconnecting and rebooting everything the printer sharing now works properly again with the MacBook Pro connected wirelessly and the iMac via ethernet to the router an, for printing, the iMac via USB to the printer.

Long may it last!

I hope this info might help others with a similar problem

Apr 2, 2011 11:44 AM in response to Martin Jewiss

Well, it seems like the underlying problem is still here. Every time I reboot my Mac Pro I have to follow Matts advice in order to connect to it from my MacBook Pro.

I'm having another problem which could be related.

My Mac Pro is named "Mougins" and runs MAMP. Before today when I connect to the MAMP server from my MacBook Pro I'd use http://mougins - as of today that url resolves to http://www.mougins.com and I have to use http://mougins.local to connect to the MAMP server.

The 2 machines are networked by cable using a Netgear GS108T gigabit switch.

Any ideas anyone ... please?

Oct 23, 2012 12:58 AM in response to reeve_mike

stale thread i know... but in case others find this and are having the same problem I did... I got stalled for a good HOUR or two and realized it was because I had my stupid FIREWALL on. I suspect this will happen to others too... one of those 'set and forget' kinds of things that is pretty easy to forget when you're confounded by incessant traceroute timeouts etc... GOOD LUCK!

File Sharing "Connection Failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.