8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 3:06 PM by Klaus1
bporter1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have read many of the posts and found there are many solutions for this problem but I can not get any of them to work. My finder instantly goes into a crash loop upon log in and crashes/restarts every few seconds. I cannot open any windows or applications for more than a second if at all.

I have started in safe boot but the exact same thing happens. I used fsck and it found no problems. I purchased a OSX install DVD becuase Im not even sure if I ever had the restore disk. I cannot boot from the cd, if I hold C it still goes to log in.

Im not very tech savy so some of this stuff is above me but I am not sure what else I can do. I do not care about saving my files at this point I just would like to fix my macbook. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.7)
  • 1. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (38,435 points)
    I have started in safe boot but the exact same thing happens.

That's handy to know because it is says it is something general about the computer, not a third party item. Does it also do this in a different account?

I purchased a OSX install DVD becuase Im not even sure if I ever had the restore disk. I cannot boot from the cd, if I hold C it still goes to log in.

I am almost positive the Macbook requires an original model-specific disc. Even if you bought a black colored retail version set of Tiger, the Intel Macs came with a version of Tiger later than that released on the retail version. Call Apple Customer Support 1-800-767-2775 ([telephone numbers for other countries|http://www.apple.com/contact/phone_contacts.html]). Provide the serial number and specifications of the Mac. They may be able to provide a replacement set of discs for a fee.

Maybe others will have ideas but I think an Archive and Install would be the easiest thing to do, but you'll need discs for that. report on the second account login if that is an option.
  • 2. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)
    Hi bporter1, and a warm welcome to the forums!

Do you have firmware password protection in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

It would block usage of all the startup keys, like C, N, T, D, CMD+s, CMDOption+pr, CMD +v, Option, and Shift.
  • 3. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    vjsotom Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Guys, I have a solution:

I tried everything from cloning to reinstalling the operating system, root user, and everything people have recommended. Well this is what I did that fixed the problem. I used Onyx to rebuild the LaunchServices and remove all .DS_Store file....it only took 3 mins to fix.

This problem seems to be related to a corrupted process in your user account, that is why if you switch accounts you have no problem with the new one.

Please give it a shot....you'll be surprise...
  • 4. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)
    Hi vjsotom, and a warm welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the post/info, I do hope it helps!
  • 5. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    Mike Cuenca Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)
    vjsotom:

Thank you so much for posting this solution. It worked for me, as well.
  • 6. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    rhone1 Level 2 Level 2 (170 points)
    Hows the RAM?
    Do you have an additional module in there? When failing they can produce weird effects. regards
  • 7. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    lutchobandeira Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi vjsotom,

I am new in Mac so I couldn't understand your solucion. Can you describe it in more detail? Thanks in advance!

• 8. Re: The infinite finder crash loop
    Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (44,485 points)

Your problem may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this old thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread.

In order for us to give your problem our undivided attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X.