Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost permissions to all external hard drives

I am on a MacBookPro on the latest version (I've checked software updates and I'm all up to date).

A few weeks ago I had to bring in my mac to the genius bar for a repair. It needed a new track pad (stopped responding), and to reinstall Mail (had gotten corrupt).

When I picked my computer back up all seemed fine, until I tried to play music, access photos and some other items on my external hard drives (And even some files on my internal hard drive). I can't play music because it says I don't have access to the drives.

I went to the Disk Utility, however "Repair Disk Permissions" is grayed out for every single external hard drive. "Verify Disk Permissions" is also grayed out. I then tried to go to the hard drive in the Finder - right-clicked, and clicked "Get Info" the external hard drives are all locked and the locked checkbox is grayed out. Permissions is not editable at all and just says "you have permission to read this drive"

I tried doing this (based on some searches I did on this topic):
sudo chown root "/Volumes/volumename/"
sudo chmod 1775 "/Volumes/volumename/"
sudo -k

but nothing appears to be working.

Please Help!

15" Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 2:48 AM

try

sudo chown -RL -v root "/Volumes/volumename/"
sudo chmod -RL -v 775 "/Volumes/volumename/"

not quite sure what sudo -k does but you need to have -RL in the command.

The -RL option makes the command apply the permissions to the hierarchies as well as the files inside them. the L option tells the command to follow symbolic links. if you dont have permission to view a directory you dont have permission to view the files within.

-v just makes the command visible on the screen so you can keep track of what it is doing
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2011 2:48 AM in response to DJDiva5

try

The -RL option makes the command apply the permissions to the hierarchies as well as the files inside them. the L option tells the command to follow symbolic links. if you dont have permission to view a directory you dont have permission to view the files within.

-v just makes the command visible on the screen so you can keep track of what it is doing

Oct 23, 2013 12:19 PM in response to DJDiva5

I updated to Mavericks OSX 10.9 and had a second hard drive attached.

When I opened the folder of the second hard drive the folder was empty, even though Get Info showed the space was being used.

I tried PRAM reset, and verify disk in Disk Utility as well as in Recovery Mode Disk Utility. In both DIsk Utility situations, the Verify Disk Permissions was grayed out.

What I was finally able to do was connect the Macbook Pro to another Mac, boot up in Target mode, Get Info on the Folder and deselect "Ignore Ownership on Folder" then open the folder.

All the folders and files were present. I made a new folder and moved everything there, then started the computer back up.

Good luck!

Feb 14, 2016 4:07 PM in response to aramage

My 3 terraByte external drive had been moved to so many different accounts with varying permission schemes, that it was being slow to show folder content, and slow to move data on the same drive. This fixed my problems and now even moving 100,000 photos to another folder on the same drive only took a few seconds. Before this it would take about 9 hours to transfer on the same drive. Thanks!

"aramageJan 20, 2011 2:48 AM Re: Lost permissions to all external hard drives
in response to DJDiva5

try

-v just makes the command visible on the screen so you can keep track of what it is doing"

Lost permissions to all external hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.