Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing a failed Replica from Server Admin: How?

Hey Guys,

I tried to setup a second server as an Open Directory replica, and the whole thing failed spectacularly. So, now I'm trying to back out.

I successfully un-replica'd the machine, but the Open Directory Master still lists the server in "Replica Status" in Server Admin. It says:

*X.X.X.X "ERROR PasswordService — Warning: Replication has not completed yet."*

Maybe it's not hurting anything, but I don't want to see this message anymore! 🙂

I tried:

*slapconfig -removereplica X.X.X.X*

And that got me:

*Warning: unable to update /config/passwordserver records in the LDAP domain without an administrator.*
*Segmentation fault*

Segfault? Fantastic. Is there a more manual -- configuration files? -- that I can get rid of this failde replica attempt and be back at square one?

Thanks,
Cabel

Message was edited by: Cabel

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 3:11 PM

4 replies

Jun 14, 2017 12:38 PM in response to ellipsegyyv

I guess this stopped working on later versions. I have a Mac OS X 10.11.6 Open Directory master and replica. The replica had issues and I tried to remove it. I opened the Server app on the master, went into Open Directory settings, and tried tp remove the replica, but it wouldn't connect. So I used the this command on the replica: sudo slapconfig -destroyldapserver

Now the Mac that was the replica doesn't have anything Open Directory configured. I ran this command on the Mac that was a replica sudo slapconfig -getmasterconfig and it says "Not an LDAP server".

But on the master Open Directory server, it still shows the replica server in the Server app under Open Directory.

Trying the command posted above (sudo slapconfig -removereplica x.x.x.x diradminname) on the master just gives an error that it couldn't connect to the replica server.

I looked through many configuration files on the master, trying to find where the replica info was saved, but couldn't find anything.

Anyone know how to remove a replica from a master, when the replica doesn't exist any longer?

Removing a failed Replica from Server Admin: How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.