Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pictures disappearing and not copying with text

I have read several posts but either cannot understand the answers or it does not quite apply to my problems.

1. As visual references I am putting together pages documents that only contain jpgs. When I group them (all are floating and cause wrap) I cannot move one image from page four to page seven without loosing everything after page five. There seems to be no logic to it. Even just deleting that one image causes half of the document to vanish.
I have also tried to move the whole page but when I try moving the page I cannot pick the relevant page instead the only 'movable' page seems to be no 8 that I can move to behind 9 or 10. Nothing else is movable or even shows up when I select it to move.
Any way around this? (and YES, I have scoured the help sections, handbooks etc. anyone suggesting I read the handbook, spare the ink)

2. And still on the disappearing pictures. When I create a document and add images (jpg) to it. If I want to copy lets say one chapter, only the text gets copied, I manually have to add the pics again. Is there a way to include the pics in the selected parts of the text?

Would be grateful for any helpful hints, even if it only is the assurance that I just have to get around it somehow....

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 9:37 AM

May you send a sample document to my mailbox ?

Click my blue name to get my address.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 20 janvier 2011 18:37:00
8 replies

Jan 20, 2011 9:44 AM in response to ravenowl

The problem is the Text Wrap.

Pages only exist in Word Processing files if there is text on them. A peculiarity of Pages.

What happens is that the Text Wrap forces whatever invisible characters, such as spaces, tabs, returns, page breaks and section break there are, over onto new pages. You used those pages to put floating images on but if you remove a log from the teetering tower of objects causing text wrap and the few characters forming pages, whole pages disappear along with the images on them.

The floating images remain on the now invisible pages. Adding text of some form will make the pages reappear along with their images. This is a totally unnecessary and ill thought out process one of many that makes Pages such a user unfriendly application for inexperienced users.

The solution is to either remove the Text Wrap which is mostly unnecessary, ensure there are enough page breaks to maintain the required pages or use Layout mode documents which keep the pages even if there is nothing on them.

Peter

Jan 20, 2011 9:45 AM in response to ravenowl

Are you using Word Processing document? It might be easier to use Page Layout document if you only have images. For text you can use text boxes.
It is difficult to understand what is going on because I think there are several things creating the behaviour. It is very difficult to help without seeing the document.

Pages can be moved in Page Layout by moving the thumbnails. In WordProcessing you have sections containing of several pages. To split the section to being just page you have to insert section breaks. Go Insert > Section break.

You are saying you are grouping images, is it that you use the option Group in the Arrange menu? Have you grouped images together from several pages?

Jan 20, 2011 2:26 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi guys, thanks for your quick and helpful responses. I have now inserted some words as references that 'define' real pages in the document. I have also taken out the wrapping for all pics - lo and behold they have all reappeared! So thanks for helping with that part of my problem!
Any suggestions on the second half, how I can copy text including pics I have inserted? My document is not done with a template but a 'normal' document and adding pics every time I need to use part of a text somewhere else is just ever so time consuming and the handbook does not seem to yield any helpful hints (might be that I'm not tecky enough 🙂. Any tricks to get that working for me?
Thanks again and look forward to ideas!

pictures disappearing and not copying with text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.