Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freezing and lag when using Safari

Hello

I've had this issue for a while. It happens when I'm using Safari and have more than one window open, I may have some other apps open as well. The expose animation will start to happen but it will freeze half way for 3-5 seconds before running as normal. Sometimes it freezes for 5-8 seconds.

I tried a clean install of my iMac and it stopped doing it but after a week or so it started again.

I am running a 21inch Aluminium iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB 667 DDR2 RAM. It is the first aluminium model of iMac.

Is there an issue with my iMac or is it just a case of my Mac being old and am I in need of an upgrade. I am planning on buying a new iMac once the line refreshes later this year.

iMac Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 10:02 AM

5 replies

Jan 20, 2011 10:23 AM in response to KYL

It's a little difficult to say for sure what it is right now. However there are a number of troubleshooting steps you can take. The first thing I would recommend doing is creating another account and calling it Test Account. Leave this account pristine, don't change any setting or add any software. Then log into this account and see if they problem still occur. If they stop then it's a software issue in your user account, if the problem still occurs then it's either a system wide hardware or software issue and is pointing to hardware, possibly just a failing hard disk. After creating the new account and testing please post back with your results.

Roger

Jan 20, 2011 10:51 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the quick response. As I said in my post I have tried a complete erase and install of my Mac and the system runs fine. The problem resurfaces after a week or two of usage when I'm downloading stuff and adding new applications. If I left it from a fresh install without adding any new software the problem isnt there.

Freezing and lag when using Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.