Skip navigation

Automatically Save Local Copy of Sent Mail (IMAP)

3211 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2011 1:27 PM by dunderhead RSS
dunderhead Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 20, 2011 10:43 AM
Hello - I use an IMAP account (several, actually) but want to save a local copy of all messages (incoming & sent). Mail seems to do this easily for incoming mail but not at all for sent mail, which seems odd and makes me think I'm just missing something. Am I?

To be clear, the IMAP sent mailbox and its corresponding folder in Mail work fine (I know how to set up "use this mailbox for..."): what I want to do is duplicate the contents of that mailbox on my mac automatically (i.e. don't want to continually have to copy messages and remember what's copied and what's not etc.).

Also what's up with not being able to apply rules to mailboxes? Is that fixed in 10.6 version? Thanks in advance!
MB Pro, iMac, Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone, iPods, Airport Extreme, Multiple Airport Express
  • Mike Strohmeyer Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Jan 20, 2011 7:45 PM (in response to dunderhead)
    If I understand your question, what you can do is go to the "Composing" tab in Mail preferences and select "Automatically Cc: (or Bcc:) myself. Then every message that you send will send itself back to you and you can set up a rule to place that copy in a separate folder of your choice when it arrives.

As for the rules not working, what are you experiencing? I have computers running both OS 10.5 and 10.6 and the rules seem to be working just fine on both of them.

Mike
    iMac 24 inch (Early 2009), MacBook (13 inch), iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac is running Leopard OS, MacBook is running OS 10.6.6
  • Mike Strohmeyer Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Jan 31, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to dunderhead)
    Sorry for the delay. As far as I know the rules are applied only to incoming, previously unread messages. It's possible that an Applescript script could do what you'd like, but I have so little ability in Applescript that I'm probably considered dangerous. However, there is a forum here that's dedicated to Applescript and people always seem to be asking someone to write all or part of a script for a wide variety of events. You might try over there. Good luck.
    iMac 24 inch (Early 2009), MacBook (13 inch), iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac is running Leopard OS, MacBook is running OS 10.6.6
  • quillson Calculating status...

Dunderhead,

I am looking to do exactly what you posted about back in January.

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks,

Steve

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.