Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my AEBS dual-band dead/dying?

Here's my setup. I have an AEBS connected to a Time Warner Cable modem. The ethernet ports go back to two Windows desktops and an Iomega NAS. I run two MB Pros, an iPod and an iPad wirelessly, and also stream Netflix through a Sony bluray player. I have a few Airport Expresses to connect iTunes to speakers various rooms. The Iomega and bluray are relatively new, within the last month.

I've had the AEBS for almost two years and have had excellent throughput.

We streamed a movie on Netflix on Monday and everything worked perfectly. Ten minutes later, we tried to stream a second show and BAM! Slow start up, impossible to watch the movie due to constant buffering.

I ran the CNET speed test and my dl speed was 300kb/s, less than 5% of what it used to be. Went through unplugging, re-plugging, downgrading the firmware, re-upgrading the firmware. Don't think its a firmware issue because I upgraded back in December with no issues.

Checked the network settings on the bluray player and all my devices and they are fine. The throughput on the windows PC that received the ethernet connection back from the router has also slowed to a crawl.

Any suggestions, or should I stick a fork in my router?

Thanks,
Mike

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Windows XP

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 11:56 AM

3 replies

Jan 20, 2011 3:37 PM in response to onomike

When troubleshooting speed issues, always start from the Internet connection and work your way out from there.

Push the reset button on your cable modem
Power it down
Pull the battery if it's easily accessible
Power down everything else on your network

Wait 30 minutes

Power up the modem first and let it run for 5 minutes by itself
Power up the AirPort Extreme the same way
Power up your devices one at a time the same way

What are your results?

Jan 21, 2011 10:45 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, Bob. I did as you suggested, and after a brief throughput of about 1.5mb/s it dropped back to 300kb/s. I tried changing channels on the router but to no avail.

Tonight I'll try to disconnect everything and just hookup an Airport Express, and if the throughput is good, funeral services for my extreme will be forthcoming.

Thanks again,
Mike

Is my AEBS dual-band dead/dying?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.