Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from my IPAD to an HP Envy 100

I specifically purchased the HP Envy 100 as it was suppose to easily print from my Ipad. My IPAD does not even show a printer under the airprint function. How do I get my Ipad to recognize the printer. The printer is online and hooks to the internet and I have made sure all the firmware is up to date. I would think there is an easy solution. Please help!

IPAD, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 3:53 PM

12 replies

Jan 20, 2011 4:35 PM in response to RobTheCPA

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

Is your HP listed in the knowledge base article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

If it is an AirPrint enabled printer, it won't show as a printer but when you tap to print it should respond.

If not we can point you to the information, such as:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=268560&tstart=0

Message was edited by: Ralph Landry1

Jan 21, 2011 11:41 AM in response to RobTheCPA

Rob,

If neither HP iPrint Photo nor AirPrint can see your Printer, then either one of two things is happening. First, your router is blocking Bonjour packets. There are quite a few routers out there where this is a problem. The Actiontec I have at home is working fine, but I do NOT use the built in wireless, I'm using AirPorts for that. The second possibility is that your Printer and your iPad aren't on the same network. They both need to be on the same network.

You can rule out the router if you want by creating an AdHoc network from your Envy and connecting your iPad directly to it, and see if it can print.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Jan 24, 2011 2:51 PM in response to HP Mac Architect

Andrew, I thought I would add in my experiences with an iPod Touch and the HP Envy 100a:

I have a local wireless network using a Linksys WRT100 (latest firmware, WPA2), a couple macbooks (latest OS), an iPod Touch (latest iOS) and the HP Envy (fully updated). I can print to the HP Envy over the wireless network from both computers without any trouble. I've verified that all the network devices are on the same network etc.

However, my iPod will not see the printer. If I tap to print, the printer isn't detected. I installed the HP iPrint app and it fails to detect the printer too. (I've read that turning blue tooth off helps, tried it to no avail; similarly I've heard that enabling multicasting on the router would help, but it did not; I've tried powering down and restarting the router, printer and iPod but that didn't work either.)

Interestingly, when I installed a demo of Printopia the iPod could find and print to the printer both through tap to print and the HP app. Now that the demo has expired, the iPod of course won't detect the printer.

I would have been satisfied to conclude that my router doesn't play well with Bonjour, but then why would the printer be detected with Printopia but not without?

Any advice on making this work?

Jerky

Jan 25, 2011 5:32 PM in response to JerkyT1psy

So, I can't tell you about the Printopia app, but the desktop's can discover the printer using SLP as well as Bonjour. Actually, the Windows solution only uses Bonjour if you install the Apple Bonjour Printing kit. Its possible that Printopia is using the same discovery. The weird thing is that you said HP iPrint Photo could find the printer when Printopia is running, but not without. HP iPrint Photo should also be able to use SLP, so I can understand why that would work, but AirPrint wouldn't, what I can't understand is why Printopia has anything to do with that.

What I would do, just to make sure everything is working, is create an AdHoc network with your Envy (reset network settings, then turn on the wireless radio and you'll find a network the Printer creates), connect that network with your iOS devices and try to print. I assume everything will work. If it does, then the problem is clearly with the router and Bonjour.

One other unrelated thing to try is if your router supports Wide Band (or 40 MHz) channels on its 2.4 GHz radio, try turning that off. Even though that shouldn't effect anything, I have heard reports of it causing issues. Note that Wide Band was only supported on 2.4 in the Draft N specs, it is not part of the final standard.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Feb 3, 2011 12:30 PM in response to HP Mac Architect

Thanks for your help Andrew.

I checked my router and the 40Mhz channel was already disabled, so that wasn't the problem.

Some progress: when I bring the printer out of sleep I can detect it on the ipod and can print to it. However, it quickly disappears within a couple of minutes and then is no longer visible (No printers found, as before).

I haven't had a chance to setup a AdHoc network, but I'm quite sure everything would work fine under those conditions.

I guess this pretty well confirms that my Linksys WRT100 doesn't play nice with Bonjour. Disappointing.

Jerky

Printing from my IPAD to an HP Envy 100

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.