Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see Airport Express in Airport Utility

This is weird. I had an old Linksys routher and Express and all was working fine. But I wanted to get a dual band so I replaced the Linksys with an Extreme. Extreme works fine but now I can't see/configure the Express. Airport utility sees Extreme but not Express. I took Express to Apple store and they saw it, and configured it. Got it home, nothing. Blinking amber light on Express. Have tried hard reset over and over. Must be a setting in Extreme but which? I'm on Windows 7. Any ideas?

Pentium 4; 3.2 Ghz, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 8:29 PM

12 replies

Jan 20, 2011 8:46 PM in response to Jim Jarvie

Jim, try temporarily connecting an ethernet cable from your computer to the AirPort Express and then open AirPort Utility to see if the AirPort Express will appear.

If this allows you to "see" the Express, you can go ahead and configure it. As soon as you see the message that the settings have been stored successfully on the Express, close AirPort Utility and disconnect the ethernet cable.

The AirPort Express should restart in 40-45 seconds, and if your new settings are correct, you'll see a green light.

Message was edited by: Bob Timmons

Jan 21, 2011 5:16 PM in response to Jim Jarvie

Hi Bob and Jim - I'm having a similar problem. My airport express was working fine until today when I installed a new airport extreme. Now airport utility only recognizes the extreme base station and I can't see the express device (which isn't connected to the cable modem anymore because I want to use it to stream music from iTunes to my speakers). Would be grateful for any ideas!

Jan 21, 2011 6:06 PM in response to Jim Jarvie

I only have 1 ethernet conncetion to my PC so when the Express is connected, the Extreme isn't and I cant finish the settings. Is there something I should set the express to?

Sorry, thought you were connecting using wireless on your computer. Reconnect the computer to the AirPort Extreme using the ethernet cable.

Locate a spare ethernet cable and connect it from one of the LAN <-> ports on the AirPort Extreme to your AirPort Express.

Open Airport Utility and follow the guided setup to configure your Express to "join" your network and "join your wireless network". Follow the prompts and you should be all set. (You will need to know the type of security that your AirPort Extreme is using to provide the same setting to the AirPort Express).

Jan 22, 2011 7:30 AM in response to Jim Jarvie

I suspect POS, but I hate to use that term when referring to an Apple product. I wish I could just read a $%#@ instruction that addressed simple connection needs.

Specifically, I moved to the inlaws and can't seem to find my airport to connect to their wireless router. I mean, how hard is that and why the ....should it be even a little complicated?

I'm just asking that's all
arggggg

Jan 22, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Come on Apple, Really

I wish I could just read a $%#@ instruction that addressed simple connection needs.

Well, of course I can't speak for Apple, but when you consider that the Express can be configured in 4 very different and distinct ways, simple instructions are not exactly easy.

Specifically, I moved to the inlaws and can't seem to find my airport to connect to their wireless router. I mean, how hard is that and why the ....should it be even a little complicated?

If you previously configured your Express to "join" your old wireless network, then the ethernet port is not enabled in this type of setup. You'll need to start over and perform a "hard reset" by holding in the reset button until you see the amber light blink more quickly. That gets the Express back to defaults so you can start over from square one.

Jan 22, 2011 8:34 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi guys - similar problem here, except I'm trying to configure an old Airport. Not extreme, not express... just Airport Base Station. Yeah, it's ancient -- is it just too old to work with the updated Airport Utility?

I get the same "Airport Utility was unable to discover any Airport wireless devices" message -- even after I took your advice above and restarted the base station and then plugged it into the mac directly with an ethernet cable. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Jan 22, 2011 1:35 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, thanks for stick with me on this. I did get it and I'll share some points here for those that may be having the same issue. My opinions: Extreme find Express is a bit finicky. Reason even though I had it plugged directly into the Extreme via ethernet cable, sometimes it saw it sometimes not. The thing I found the best to do is unplug the express, unplug the ether cable, plug it all back in and press the hard reset. I had to do it a couple of times until it worked and I only new to keep trying from some other posts outside of this support forum. One of the most iportant things here is what Bob says, you must know your Extreme security level and the password. Also, its a bit peculiar because once your Express shows up in Airport Utility and you are following the 'wizard' it provides a drop-down to select a wireless network to join. At this point I expected to see the wireless network but its not there. I had to type it in. Lastly is not clear why you would choose join a network vs extend a newtwork - could use some docs on that. Hope this helps others.

Can't see Airport Express in Airport Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.