Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation issues from 10.2.8 to 10.4

I have an imac G4 15 inch flat panel 800mhz. Memory 768 mb. It has a dvd player, cd burner. OS 10.2.8

I'm trying to install Mac OS Tiger DVD. The icon for the disc would come on but when I click on it, it opens then after a few seconds of spinning wheel it closes. I tried clicking on the installer icon before it quits but no response. I've tried holding the C key while restarting and also changing the start up disc in the system preferences but this thing happens. A white screen appears that says open firmware and I'm supposed to type mac-boot or shut down. Either way, it won't start up from the install disc.

I already checked for firmware updates but there were none. I also did the disk repair utility.

I have the newer imac and tried the Tiger disc on it and the installer opens without issues. What's wrong? Thanks for your help.

Message was edited by: fosterm

imac g4 15 inch flat panel powerPC, Mac OS X (10.2.x), upgraded RAM, 800 mhz

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 9:49 PM

5 replies

Jan 20, 2011 10:39 PM in response to fosterm

Hi fosterm, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

I suspect this is a Gray machine dpecifid Disc, not yje Blavk Retail Disc.

See Tom's, (Texas Mac Man), great info on where/how to find/get Tiger...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9755670&#9755670

Or Ali Brown's great info on where/how to find/get Tiger...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10381710#10381710

Jan 25, 2011 6:24 PM in response to fosterm

I tried the target disk mode through firewire. I put my newer imac on TDM, install disk inserted and without disconnecting the firewire cable, booted up the imac G4 with the option key pressed. It worked.

The imac g4 is now on Tiger and I can open the install disk in the G4 without issues. Thanks for your help!

Installation issues from 10.2.8 to 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.