Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder's open with preference

hello,

in a user account we can for some reason not change the application with which files are opened to anything else.

does anybody know where the 'open with' preference for files is saved or how it can be reset.

any help much appreciated.

ds.

iMac i7, Mac OS X (10.6.5), G5 - xserve

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 3:26 AM

5 replies

Jan 24, 2011 9:59 AM in response to schagemann

Launch the Terminal app, copy & paste this one-liner into the window that pops up, hit the return key, quit the Terminal app, and restart:

*/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchS ervices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user*

Jan 25, 2011 3:58 AM in response to baltwo

thanks again for your help - unfortunately this has also not solved the problem.

it is very strange this seems to affect all user accounts on this particular machine, even if i create a completely new account.

basically the application which it does seem to have trouble with is vectorworks 12.0.1 & 12.5.3 which we typically have both installed.

i have now resorted to simply deleting the older version - not really a fix, but since this particular user is only 'newer' projects she can do without.

ds.

finder's open with preference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.