Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Closed Network Usable?

So, I am going on vacation in the summer and want to take my Apple TV, Airport Express, and iPad so the kids can watch some movies on the hotel TV at night. The hotel does not have Internet access. Question is....

Can I create a closed wireless network using my Airport Express (including it's DHCP server) and still be able to use the Apple TV and push movies from my iPad to the Apple TV using AirPlay - or does the Apple TV need to have Internet access for signing into my Apple Account?

Thanks for any information. I didn't want to dismantle my network at home to test this if someone else has already done this.

iOS 4

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 6:32 AM

A closed wireless network simply means that it does not appear in the list of available access points, you have to enter the wifi network name manually in order to be able to connect. Otherwise, Internet access is necessary to authorize content purchased from the iTunes store or stream from Netflix.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2011 6:32 AM in response to GoHerdIBG

A closed wireless network simply means that it does not appear in the list of available access points, you have to enter the wifi network name manually in order to be able to connect. Otherwise, Internet access is necessary to authorize content purchased from the iTunes store or stream from Netflix.

Closed Network Usable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.