Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting "VIDEO_TS" files to .mov or .mp4?

I have been going through the process of ripping all my dvd so I can put them on an external drive & watch them via a media player. The problem is I have been using MacTheRipper & I end up with a large video ts file. I do have handbrake but im not sure how to extract an entire disc rather than just the movie itself.
What I would like to do is have my entire dvd collection on HD so i can watch via my media player without having to use my dvd player anymore.
Can anyone suggest a good app to convert a video ts folder to an .mov or .mp4?
cheers

24" 2.8 iMac, 2.53 15" MBP, BlackBook 2.16, G4 12" Powerbook., Mac OS X (10.5.7), 4GB/1TB HD+640GB FW800+320/200external, 4GB/500G HD,2GB/250G HD,1.25GB/120GB HD.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 4:07 PM

6 replies

Jan 24, 2011 6:31 AM in response to DJstylus

For the same reason ppl with CDs listen to their music as mp3s on iTunes - common sense really.

No offense intended, but please explain. If you have a DVD player, or in your example, a CD player right there, why wouldn't you just play the media you already have instead of spending your time ripping it to another format? I don't see the common sense in that.

It does make complete sense for other things. You obviously can't use your music CDs in an iPod, so you have to rip them to mp3s in order to take recordings of your music with you. Ripping a DVD can also make sense if you are a frequent traveler and want to bring movies to watch on a laptop with you, without having to drag your original disks with (something movie studios have finally figured out why people do that and include digital copies with your purchased movies for just that purpose).

But ripping a DVD to watch on your TV, when you could much more easily just play the disk seems like an utter waste of time.

Converting "VIDEO_TS" files to .mov or .mp4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.