Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't empty the trash, I get this error code (-8003)

How can I force empty the trash, or get around this problem?

iMacIntel duo core, Mac OS X (10.6.6), plain vanilla

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 8:07 AM

10 replies

Jan 22, 2011 8:27 AM in response to thomas_r.

Tom, thank you for this info. I don't remember trashing data from Time Machine using the Finder. The PB in question is a spare that doesn't get used very often, I take it on the road when I have to go to a meeting or something, otherwise it just get's shut down for months at a time. But I will erase my back up drives and start over and see what this is all about. The file I can't get rid of is an old version of Adobe Acrobat, if that helps.

May 4, 2015 9:51 AM in response to itsafrogslife

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting error -8003 or -36 when I try to copy my Time Machine backups to another drive? Since I was running out of room on my Time Machine drive, I was in the process of deleting all copies of my old Outlook 2011 Identity (using Time Machine, not the Finder), when the process abruptly stopped and the drive was no longer accessible. The only way I can mount the drive is to power it up after booting my system - (I've tried this on two different systems) - then using Disk Utility to attempt a repair on the drive. Disk Utility can't repair the drive and says I need to backup my data, then reformat the drive, which is why I'm trying to copy my backups to another drive. For reference, my Time Machine backups are on one partition of a two partition drive, and the other partition mounts just fine.

I can't empty the trash, I get this error code (-8003)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.