Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting in mess with Transfering data to new mac

Hi, I'm getting myself in a bit of a mess. I've just bought a new mac mini and I want to transfer just my music, photos, contacts and *iPhone / iPad apps* to it from my old G4 PowerBook, running leopard. What is the best way to do this please? I dont want all the applications that were on my PB because I want to start it all again clean. I do have an iPhone and iPad though, so I also want to sync them with the new mac mini and not loose the data.

I tried the migration assistant after setting up the mac and that created a new login account so have now re-installed the OS discs it came with so I can start all over again.

Many thanks for any advice

Mac Mini

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 4:18 PM

7 replies

Jan 22, 2011 5:34 PM in response to Chops.com

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3231

*Controlling what is migrated*

*With Migration Assistant you control the data that is migrated from another Macintosh computer. By clicking the triangle next to a user's name, you can select which User Accounts to migrate and choose which folders to migrate. You can also choose whether to migrate Applications, Network and Computer settings, or Volumes. Migrating only what you need can reduce the time it takes to complete your migration.*

Jan 22, 2011 10:04 PM in response to CMCSK

Thanks, I understand.

I now want to delete all users and put the Mac mini back in the state it was in when I received it from Apple. So delete all user account. I put the disc in and held down c to re-install but the user account are still. I want to go back to how it was when I took it out of the box, so that I can use migration assistant from the start

Jan 23, 2011 7:36 AM in response to Chops.com

If all else fails, and you live within a convenient distance of an Apple Store make an appointment with the Genius Bar at the store. You can do it online. Take your Mac mini with you and previous computer and they will sort you out. I presume that as you have only recently bought your Mac min i that you are still covered by the warranty for this purpose. If you took out the extended 3 year warranty then you should definately be covered. The staff are brilliant and don't talk down to none techies like me!!!

Getting in mess with Transfering data to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.