Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move to external drive

Hi. I have a 2TB external drive connected by FireWire to my MacBook Pro. The top folder on the external drive is called My Media. I want to have two subfolders under My Media, one for my iTunes library and one for my iMovie media content. I already moved my iTunes library to the external drive and that worked fine.

Can someone specify how to move my iMovie 11 media content to the external drive, so that it appears as a subfolder under My Media folder? Thank you

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 8:20 AM

8 replies

Jan 23, 2011 11:25 AM in response to pomme4moi

The external drive should be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
FAT32 drives will not be visible to iMovie.

You will need to create a folder at the top level of the drive called iMovie Events. You can also create an iMovie Projects folder at the top level of the drive. If you make these subfolders of another folder, iMovie will not see them.

For best results, do all moves from within iMovie.
In iMovie, click View/Events By Volume.
Hold down the command key as you drag the Event icon in the Event Library to the icon for the external drive in the Event Library.

Also read about the File/Consolidate Media... Command in Help.

Sep 6, 2011 7:22 AM in response to AppleMan1958

In the unlikely event you are still monitoring this thread... I managed to follow the steps you've outlined had have moved all my iMovie stuff to an external drive. Thanks for making it so siple.

Now then, the "Movies" item/icon in my Finder/Places window is still pointing to the folders on my Macintosh HD. Is there any way to get them to point to the new drive, and/or create a new icon that points to the new drive?

Thanks,

--P

Move to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.