Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing a long photo

I have a question about printing long photos. I will create a scenario. If I have a long photo say 12X2 and I want to print that on a 4X6 postcard how would I get the whole image to print. When I try this I get the image fitted to fill the space which crops the edges of the image. Ideas? Is there a plugin that extends the iphoto print options? I understand there are ways to do this for example crop and export open in preview and set it up to do what I need then save to PDF to iphoto. I am looking for a solution in iphoto not externally. I would like to avoid moving images out of the library.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 11:14 AM

6 replies

Jan 23, 2011 12:28 PM in response to Chris Shaddock

If you select the photo and click print - select the printer, paper size and photo print size and click customize - in the preview window on the customize screen right click on the photo and select fit to frame - this will display the entire photos with white space fill to fill out the paper size and eliminate cropping - click print and select any printer options and click print to print

LN

Jan 23, 2011 2:45 PM in response to Chris Shaddock

So when I try to crop the 12x2 image to 4x6 it clips the ends and does not 'shrink' the photo.

that is correct - cropping cuts off part of the photo - which is why I did suggest cropping

in the preview window on the customize screen right click on the photo and select *"fit photo to frame size"* - this will display the entire photos with white space fill to fill out the paper size and *eliminate cropping*

Also, when I try to 'fit to paper'

I'm not sure what you are doing - if you follow my instruction and in the customize preview window right click and select "fit photo to frame size" you fill the frame with white space so the whole photo is displayed and will be printed - if this is not happening for you renew your iPhoto preference file - A good general step for strange issues is to renew the iPhoto preference file - quit iPhoto and go to "your user name" ==> library ==> preferences ==> com.apple.iPhoto.plist and trash it - launch iPhoto which creates a fresh new default preference file and reset any personal preferences you have changed and if you have moved the iPhoto library repoint to it. This may help

This does not affect your photos or any database information (keywords, faces, places, ratings, etc) in any way - they are stored in the iPhoto library - the iPhoto preference file simply controls how iPhoto works - which is why renewing it is a good first step.

it fills with no white space. Have you both tested these solutions? I will attempt your solutions again incase I missed something.

Yes I have tested it with iPhoto '08, '09 and '11 - it works the same in all three versions exactly as I described it

LN

Printing a long photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.