Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use captures sections?

I have figured out that I seem to be able to capture a section by putting it on the toolbar. I followed the instructions in the handbook:

+To reuse some or all of the pages in a section:+
+Select the section in the thumbnail view. Choose Format > Advanced > Capture Pages.+

So far it works. The next instruction however does not as there is not dialogue appearing. After I chose a name and click ok nothing further happens. No include pop-up menu appears, the section is ergo not usable yet.

+In the dialog that appears, type a name for the page or pages, use the Include pop-up menu to indicate which pages you want to reuse, and then click OK.+
+The page or pages are available in the pop-up menu that appears when you click the Pages button in the toolbar.+

How do I make the dialogue appear and a section selectable on the toolbar? And would I be able to copy the chosen section text, pics and all into another or new doc (because that's the only reason I'm trying to do this in the first place since I need to move a bulk of text with pics into several different documents!).

Rgds, Ravenowl

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 7:05 AM

ravenowl,

Your profile indicates that you are using 10.6.3. If this is correct, it is likely that you have a version mismatch between Pages and the OS.

The current version of Pages is 4.0.5, and the current version of OSX is 10.6.6. There can be many difficulties with the iWork programs if you aren’t up to date on everything.

You should download and install the Snow Leopard Combo Updater to bring your operating system up to date, and then use Software Update to bring Pages up to date. You should do it in that order, or you might waste time updating the OS incrementally. We have found that the Combo Update is the best way to avoid errors in the update of Snow Leopard.

Jerry
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2011 7:05 AM in response to ravenowl

ravenowl,

Your profile indicates that you are using 10.6.3. If this is correct, it is likely that you have a version mismatch between Pages and the OS.

The current version of Pages is 4.0.5, and the current version of OSX is 10.6.6. There can be many difficulties with the iWork programs if you aren’t up to date on everything.

You should download and install the Snow Leopard Combo Updater to bring your operating system up to date, and then use Software Update to bring Pages up to date. You should do it in that order, or you might waste time updating the OS incrementally. We have found that the Combo Update is the best way to avoid errors in the update of Snow Leopard.

Jerry

Jan 24, 2011 7:36 AM in response to ravenowl

It might be that there is something wrong in your Pages application. For diagnostic purpose create a new user account and log in to it. Open Pages and try to Capture a page. If the dialog shows up Pages is OK but something is wrong in your original account.
Log back to you original account.
Delete the com.apple.iwork.pages.plist file from Users > your name > Library > Preferences.
Start Pages and try again. Does it work? If not come back and tell us.

Jan 25, 2011 2:02 AM in response to ravenowl

Hm, tried finding my captured section in the drop down list. Unfortunately it only shows the two standard ones. Something HAS worked though: if I try and capture section again and use the same name it tells me this section already exists.

So whereto next? I am reluctant to delve too deeply into updating via deleting things, if that is necessary I would probably ask a pro to do that for me. I taught myself how to do everything on a computer, so there are gaps in my understanding. So, can something go horribly wrong if I follow the above instructions of creating a second id and deleting plist file or is it foolproof? 🙂

how to use captures sections?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.